engine knock no oil pressure need help asap please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rayninglead

Reaction score
Ok everybody since I won't be getting the used engine until the end of the month I will try just replacing the bearing if the crank checks out to be ok. And I definitely planned on changing those PITA gaskets before I drop the used motor in while there easy to get to. I will check the bottom end today after school and see what I can dig up, hopefully I can get away with just a new bearing and all be ok I'll have my friend help me since he knows the fine details that I don't about the clearances and what not and should report back later tonight with what is going on internally

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have one bearing causing problems then you have others very close too. Crank will need addressed too.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? Are you saying one bearing can be bad and the crank will be ok and no other problems with the other bearings? In what world?

That's why I opted out of this thread as far as giving any more advice. The OP is making a poor decision, period (like I said, his $$). Others aren't giving good advice either.

That crank rod bearing journal is going to be hosed if there is ANY audible knock, which there is. The crank WILL require turning and that rod resizing. As you said, 95% probability the other rod bearings are at or near failure too. This path will do nothing except waste the OP's time, money and 'possibly' cause a non-rebuildable catastrophic failure in the near future at a less opportune time.

I'm out...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's why I opted out of this thread as far as giving any more advice. The OP is making a poor decision, period (like I said, his $$). Others aren't giving good advice either.

That crank rod bearing journal is going to be hosed if there is ANY audible knock, which there is. The crank WILL require turning and that rod resizing. As you said, 95% probability the other rod bearings are at or near failure too. This path will do nothing except waste the OP's time, money and 'possibly' cause a non-rebuildable catastrophic failure in the near future at a less opportune time.

I'm out...

Good call.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
How about letting him look at the actual damage before assuming the entire crank is damaged. If it is fine, if not then fine too. I swear you guys act like salesman some times..."sir, I need a new half-shaft" -" Just SAS the front and be done with it." Not exactly helpful when we push our own dreams and wishes on others to get self satisfaction from it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How about letting him look at the actual damage before assuming the entire crank is damaged. If it is fine, if not then fine too. I swear you guys act like salesman some times..."sir, I need a new half-shaft" -" Just SAS the front and be done with it." Not exactly helpful when we push our own dreams and wishes on others to get self satisfaction from it.

The only thing I am selling is realistic expectations. If you got 1 bad bearing then that journal work on the shaft. No one said anything about the whole shaft except you. He came on here and asked for opinions. I assumed he wanted honest opinions instead of a hope and a prayer. We can all wish for that but based off what he said and the others he needs to be prepared. That is a lot of work to go in there and do what he says he is going to do so he might as well be prepared for what he could see. If you want to "assume" the crank is going to be fine and blow smoke up his leg then do so but don't try to limit me in my thoughts or my opinion. That's realism!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I hate smoking and religion even more. While it would be ideal every bearing would wear down evenly with each other it is not a given so because one bearing is bad does not always preclude others will be as well or even on there way. Sometimes things just don't go the way we think they will. If it is cylinder #3 then it would seem something was odd about the cylinder if the engine losses oil pressure and that one is the one that happens to knock and possibly not the others. I don't think the oil magically saved the others either. Just saying wait until the facts are in before assuming something like a percentage probability that other areas or parts of the crank assembly are bad. Personally I don't like assumptions either. I actually like long lengthy detailed reports. Like aircraft accident reports. Now if I can only get my old tranny back to make one for everyone here. Buggers at the shop sent it back to the junkyard already.

OP
OP
R

rayninglead

Reaction score
Ok everyone I appreciate all of your feedback whether you think I'm wasting my money or not I'm on a budget and this is my only vehicle, yes I'm going to check and inspect my lower end before I spend any money on anything to see if it is possible to fix as sunlit suggests it won't hurt me cause if it is too bad to repair I'm pulling it anyways So it's just going to Waste a little time checking it out and I will be buying a used motor for it, and rebuilding this one as a learning experience. Just don't have the time to rebuild at this time I want cheap and quick and to me dropping in a Used good running motor is the best bang for my buck in my opinion but thanks for all the replies and help I Do appreciate it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autom8ted