Engine Failure on New 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Once these lifters are replaced, how likely do people think this could happen again?
I didn't ask my guy that exact question. Turns out I have thought of a lot of questions I could have asked since that might have filled in the picture a little more clearly. I will get a chance to talk to him again soon, so will try and remember to ask that and a few other questions.

In any case, he did seem confident that if they change all 16 now, the fix will stick. That likely comes from his experience with the fleet vehicles he maintains that saw so many failures early on (way more than the normal distribution, which made sense to me if you happened to buy a bunch of trucks that were built at the same time and their engines had a number of the bad lifters).

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Once these lifters are replaced, how likely do people think this could happen again?
Oh, one thing I forgot to add, he did say that GM will extend your Powertrain Warranty to 100K. You have to ask, he said they do not offer it automatically (which seems about as brain dead as it comes), but it is "policy" if you had failures with these lifters and you ask.

OP
OP
Antarick

Antarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, one thing I forgot to add, he did say that GM will extend your Powertrain Warranty to 100K. You have to ask, he said they do not offer it automatically (which seems about as brain dead as it comes), but it is "policy" if you had failures with these lifters and you ask.
Thanks. I leased the vehicle, so not concerned about long-term performance. However, I just no longer trust the reliability of this vehicle. Both lifter failures occurred with my wife driving the vehicle more than 3 hours away from home.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I leased the vehicle, so not concerned about long-term performance. However, I just no longer trust the reliability of this vehicle. Both lifter failures occurred with my wife driving the vehicle more than 3 hours away from home.
Totally understand your position. My wife drives a Toyota. ;)

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's freaking stupid, why gm didn't give up on the afm/dod stuff years a go is a puzzlement....it just gets worse and worse. hard to beat a lm7 for reliability
That said, I just read that they are not activating the dod on the latest trucks because they don't have the chips to operate it.

Buffalown

Reaction score
That's freaking stupid, why gm didn't give up on the afm/dod stuff years a go is a puzzlement....it just gets worse and worse. hard to beat a lm7 for reliability
That said, I just read that they are not activating the dod on the latest trucks because they don't have the chips to operate it.
Do you have a link? I have a TPW of 4/11 and I’d be thrilled if this would apply to my build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645