Engine Failure on New 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’ve had some no start and some rear oil seal mis assembly issues, but they have been few and mostly resolved. Most feedback is overwhelmingly positive…..

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’ve had some no start and some rear oil seal mis assembly issues, but they have been few and mostly resolved. Most feedback is overwhelmingly positive…..
I've been considering the DMax and so far I'm concerned with regen and my short hops to town mixed with infrequent trips. During April through October I may be on the road twice a month but through the winter I drive short errands maybe once or twice a week. Yearly mileage is below 7,000 miles.

Would like to have better fuel mileage but for the $400 per year fuel saving though a bit higher maintenance expense and inconvenience of regen and DEF I might just go for the 6.2l once they cure the lifter problem. Running midgrade would be less than diesel per gallon in my area plus the gasser is plug and play friendly, quad tailpipes (woohoo) and if I want acceleration at 70mph I'm sure it is there. Sometimes you run into a driver you just have to get far away from quickly, there is always one out there.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont drive around 15k miles a year, the DMax is not a engine I would buy. Your going to run into issues of the engine, and exhaust, not getting up to temp, which will result in catalyst problems, carbon problems in the EGR, Carbonization in the EGR Cooler, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you dont drive around 15k miles a year, the DMax is not a engine I would buy. Your going to run into issues of the engine, and exhaust, not getting up to temp, which will result in catalyst problems, carbon problems in the EGR, Carbonization in the EGR Cooler, etc.
Yep, gotta remember, diesel is considered dirty fuel.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sadly for my situation I believe you are correct. It would have been great to have had this engine when my work commute was 25 miles each way.

Perhaps by next March the lifter problem on the 6.2 will be solved.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really concerned…my wife’s F Pace diesel is 4 years old. Only has 31k on it. Not a sniff of an issue with it. Drives less than 5 miles 75% of trips. But wife drives 300 miles round trip once or twice a month to my daughters. That’s where it truly excels. Gets 40+ MPG on hwy.
Dmax is up to 210 degrees w/in 2 miles of leaving home. Inactivity means nothing to it. Things don’t get ”Carboned up” sitting still. Bought it for range and comfort on 1400 mile trips we take 2-3 times a year.
Have had 2 other diesels besides these current ones, for going on 17 years now. Have had some “emissions” issues, replaced a DPF or two but so did all other owners of same vehicle at same age and miles. Covered under emission warranty. They go bad and lose regen efficiency and are not a lifetime component. Diesels certainly can have problems, but I have never had an internal engine related issue on any of them…
Keep the fuel filters changed, Keep fresh DEF in them, and change oil at about 75% of recommended mileage and they will serve you well.
Didn’t sell my last one due to problems, drove it 1400 miles in 2 days before selling, and sold it the same week for 3k over private party to another owner who wanted a diesel SUV at 100k miles.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really concerned…my wife’s F Pace diesel is 4 years old. Only has 31k on it. Not a sniff of an issue with it. Drives less than 5 miles 75% of trips. But wife drives 300 miles round trip once or twice a month to my daughters. That’s where it truly excels. Gets 40+ MPG on hwy.
Dmax is up to 210 degrees w/in 2 miles of leaving home. Inactivity means nothing to it. Things don’t get ”Carboned up” sitting still. Bought it for range and comfort on 1400 mile trips we take 2-3 times a year.
Have had 2 other diesels besides these current ones, for going on 17 years now. Have had some “emissions” issues, replaced a DPF or two but so did all other owners of same vehicle at same age and miles. Covered under emission warranty. They go bad and lose regen efficiency and are not a lifetime component. Diesels certainly can have problems, but I have never had an internal engine related issue on any of them…
Keep the fuel filters changed, Keep fresh DEF in them, and change oil at about 75% of recommended mileage and they will serve you well.
Didn’t sell my last one due to problems, drove it 1400 miles in 2 days before selling, and sold it the same week for 3k over private party to another owner who wanted a diesel SUV at 100k miles.

Perhaps it is those 300 mile trips once or twice a month that keeps it trouble free?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it is those 300 mile trips once or twice a month that keeps it trouble free?
It well could be, but 2 things it has in common with the Dmax are EGR after DPF and the DPF is up tight to the engine in the engine compartment. Gets it hotter quicker and keeps it hotter. I think those are both positives…
I also think in-line engines are simpler and more trouble free. IMHO…

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It well could be, but 2 things it has in common with the Dmax are EGR after DPF and the DPF is up tight to the engine in the engine compartment. Gets it hotter quicker and keeps it hotter. I think those are both positives…
I also think in-line engines are simpler and more trouble free. IMHO…

Hmm, welcoming a new experience. Keeping the new vehicle with DMax for five years would be relatively low risk. Might have to flip a coin, one side is fun and high fuel costs (though $400 a year more isn't much to factor) the other is learning a new technology and relative economy when fuel prices are increasing. I need a crystal ball for this one.

The deciding factor might be the inconvenience of stopping on a trip to get fuel earlier than otherwise necessary though if tanks were still 26 gallons that wouldn't matter.