Engine Failure on New 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My new 2021 Yukon with 3,000 miles on it already has had an engine failure. The dealer says a lifter failed which in turn damaged a pushrod. The worst part is that the replacement parts are on backorder with zero estimates on the delivery timing. Super disappointing on a brand new car and my first experience with GMC.

The dealer gave me an Acadia loaner that smells like vomit. If this repair drags on for an extended period of time, should I expect GM to reimburse me in some way or at least provide a Yukon loaner?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
GM will honor what they HAVE to honor. But, the squeaky wheel can get the grease. I would have asked for the same size vehicle as a loaner and negotiated from there. It will take some time because several members here are going thru this right now as well.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would subtly let them know that you are well aware of lemon law and how it can be applied. ( and start researching it….) I would also subtly let them know, that how you treat me in the next 30 days has everything to do with how fervently I will pursue it. I also certainly would ask for an equal New full-size vehicle to drive, not a nasty used loaner….

OP
OP
Antarick

Antarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my state, the vehicle may be considered a lemon if it sits in repair for at least 30 days. I am assuming days waiting for parts would also be included in that 30 days?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new 2021 Yukon with 3,000 miles on it already has had an engine failure. The dealer says a lifter failed which in turn damaged a pushrod. The worst part is that the replacement parts are on backorder with zero estimates on the delivery timing. Super disappointing on a brand new car and my first experience with GMC.

The dealer gave me an Acadia loaner that smells like vomit. If this repair drags on for an extended period of time, should I expect GM to reimburse me in some way or at least provide a Yukon loaner?
I really hate to hear this. I was one of the first people to buy one of these back in July 2020. I've had 10 service visits since then, but none of my issues left me stranded.

I just put down a deposit for an AT4 and I'd hoped they would have worked out most of these bugs by now. I still like mine enough to get another one! Plus I had to take advantage of the insane trade in values! Praying my AT4 will be trouble free! Will the odds be in my favor?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to one of my employees with a GMC Sierra... He is now on week 5 of waiting for parts for his engine. They did give him a Brand New Chevy Silverado with the 2.7 Turbo as a loaner thou.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with the service manager last week and heard the duramax engines have had zero issues in the 21 lineup.

That could indicate the rear seal and non-starting issues have been resolved or he just hasn't heard about them. GM truck forums have a little more history on this new engine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout