Engine Failure on New 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 300 mile trips are definitely is what keeps your system operating well. The short trips means that the DPF Regen process never gets to be performed, and where the carbonization starts happening. But if you are able to run a driving Regen (300 mile trip), then the system will automatically do what it needs to do. If you were driving only on short trips, it would be a completely different story..

I have a fleet of Diesel trucks. All are long range. Up until 500k miles, they were all doing great!... Except for 2 trucks, they only run short range. We have a 2014 Volvo, 15L Cummins, and a 2014 Volvo with a 13L Volvo. Both have 40k miles on them, they are lucky if they drive 30 miles a day, during a 12 hour shift. Engine, and DPF has been replaced on the Cummins 3 times now. The DPF on the Volvo has been replaced 4 times.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The deciding factor might be the inconvenience of stopping on a trip to get fuel earlier than otherwise necessary though if tanks were still 26 gallons that wouldn't matter.
My last vehicle had a 600+ mile range. We never worried about running out or taking unplanned detours or stops when travelling. I previously always sweated/hated to be approaching a big city/bad weather/traffic jams with low fuel in a 15 MPG vehicle. Just something else to worry about. I knew I didn't have much time to get refilled (and sometimes at pretty shady area stations in inner cities..) or we were in trouble. With any of my Diesel vehicles I well know even below 1/4 tank, I'm good for at least another 100 miles to get past trouble. Usually fill up at night at the hotel and we are good for all day the next day, plus I can pick and choose where I want to fill up. Not under duress, or pay inflated on interstate prices. Like that feeling. But Dmax definitely needs a bigger fuel tank... I was hoping for 30 gal !
I have a fleet of Diesel trucks. All are long range. Up until 500k miles, they were all doing great!... Except for 2 trucks, they only run short range. We have a 2014 Volvo, 15L Cummins, and a 2014 Volvo with a 13L Volvo. Both have 40k miles on them, they are lucky if they drive 30 miles a day, during a 12 hour shift. Engine, and DPF has been replaced on the Cummins 3 times now. The DPF on the Volvo has been replaced 4 times.
The big downfall for engines in this class size is idling. You see many highway or utility workers and the like, letting these vehicles idle for hours and hours every day.... That DOES carbon them up. Diesel DO have to be worked to be efficient and keep them blown out.
Mine may make some short trips, but when we are merging on highways and have some long desolate strips of highway, they get floored and ran thru the gearbox. You really can't hurt them. And since they are not tesla fast, most people don't realize you have it punched. I also dump a can of seafoam thru them once a year or so, just for the hell of it. Never hurts and possibly helps injectors,etc...

Mhall1000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My new 2021 Yukon with 3,000 miles on it already has had an engine failure. The dealer says a lifter failed which in turn damaged a pushrod. The worst part is that the replacement parts are on backorder with zero estimates on the delivery timing. Super disappointing on a brand new car and my first experience with GMC.

The dealer gave me an Acadia loaner that smells like vomit. If this repair drags on for an extended period of time, should I expect GM to reimburse me in some way or at least provide a Yukon loaner?
We have an issue with our Yukon AT4 and the parts are on back order (until further notice) and our dealership has zero cars to loan of similar size. It’s been an incredibly frustrating experience. I didn’t realize that each GMC dealership is completely independent of each other and will not help each other out. I asked if there were any cars available elsewhere and our dealer basically said they don’t know and typically don’t give each other cars when dealing with loaners. We seem to be held hostage at the dealership which did our failed recall. I’ve had a case number opened through GMC corporate.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an issue with our Yukon AT4 and the parts are on back order (until further notice) and our dealership has zero cars to loan of similar size. It’s been an incredibly frustrating experience. I didn’t realize that each GMC dealership is completely independent of each other and will not help each other out. I asked if there were any cars available elsewhere and our dealer basically said they don’t know and typically don’t give each other cars when dealing with loaners. We seem to be held hostage at the dealership which did our failed recall. I’ve had a case number opened through GMC corporate.

get them to rent you a vehicle

OP
OP
Antarick

Antarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update here. At 3,000 miles the lifters on 4 cylinders failed, resulting in two weeks in the repair shop. Now at 10,000 the lifters on the other side of the engine block failed, of course, 3 hours from home. This will likely be my last GMC ;( Why isn't there an official recall on these engines?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Quick update here. At 3,000 miles the lifters on 4 cylinders failed, resulting in two weeks in the repair shop. Now at 10,000 the lifters on the other side of the engine block failed, of course, 3 hours from home. This will likely be my last GMC ;( Why isn't there an official recall on these engines?
I agree, there should be a recall. Usually a recall is reserved for safety items but this problem is ridiculous! I was looking at a 2021 Z71 and man did I dodge a bullet.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was talking to my long time service advisor at my local dealer about 2021 5.3L/6.2L lifter issues. He said they now change all the lifters (16) in the engine when they have one of these failures. That policy is was driven by your experience exactly.

He has a fleet customer that bought a batch of these trucks early in the production release and they had a ridiculous failure rate. The first ones they replaced the individual stuck lifter, down the road they started replacing the bank of lifters on the failed side and finally some genius figured out that if the engine had been built during the time of the bad lifter batch, there was a meaningful probability there was more than one bad lifter in the engine and its distribution was going to be random.

I think the reason they don't do a recall is there is no obvious safety issue (hence the feds won't be pushing for one) and the numbers of bad lifters still represent a small enough percentage of the fleet that it just doesn't make financial sense to do it.

Based on posts I have read here, it doesn't sound like every dealership/GM region has figured out the wisdom of changing both banks of the lifters when one bad lifter is found. My guy said if I have a lifter failure, they will change all 16. They don't want any of them coming back a second time.

OP
OP
Antarick

Antarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was talking to my long time service advisor at my local dealer about 2021 5.3L/6.2L lifter issues. He said they now change all the lifters (16) in the engine when they have one of these failures. That policy is was driven by your experience exactly.

He has a fleet customer that bought a batch of these trucks early in the production release and they had a ridiculous failure rate. The first ones they replaced the individual stuck lifter, down the road they started replacing the bank of lifters on the failed side and finally some genius figured out that if the engine had been built during the time of the bad lifter batch, there was a meaningful probability there was more than one bad lifter in the engine and its distribution was going to be random.

I think the reason they don't do a recall is there is no obvious safety issue (hence the feds won't be pushing for one) and the numbers of bad lifters still represent a small enough percentage of the fleet that it just doesn't make financial sense to do it.

Based on posts I have read here, it doesn't sound like every dealership/GM region has figured out the wisdom of changing both banks of the lifters when one bad lifter is found. My guy said if I have a lifter failure, they will change all 16. They don't want any of them coming back a second time.
Thanks for sharing. Once these lifters are replaced, how likely do people think this could happen again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645