Engine coolant preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceworm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening guys and girls -
I won't have it dug out of the snow till next week. But I started ordering parts anyway.

Coolant
I'm using International ELC in my 04 F250 6.0. It's excellent coolant and I 'd just as soon use the same in the Tahoe. Anybody know if there are any issues with using other than gm factory coolant? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll know what gm will say

obd ii scanner
Has anybody use a Scantool MX with an Android? I ordered one earlier this week, should be in Mar 6 - about the time I'm getting the Tahoe dug out. In addition to the normal functions as a scanner, I'm really interested in realtime transmission temperature. If it works as advertised, I'll be tickled. I'll get one for the F250 as well.

Cooled off a bit. It's a more normal 20F today. And the state has been sanding. So the roads are much better.

ice

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't mix them, I don't believe there's a problem. I flushed mine and went to green.

OP
OP
iceworm

iceworm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah - I'm looking at a good flush. When I did this on the F250 it required an RO/distilled water drain, fill, circulate to operating temp, repeat - about 20gal worth, to get under 1% residual.

Because of the Tahoe rear heater loop, I'm thinking about removing the T-stat to get a better flush through the heater loops and then blocking the radiator air flow to get the temp up. Have to think about this. I don't have it figured out yet.

ice

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also would like to know how your obdII scanner works for your phone I'm looking to get one but don't want to pay for a cheap one and it be crap, auto zone has one for 99 bucks but have to special order it but I'm sure you could at least take it back if you didn't like it.... Didn't know they had one that has live trans temp

metaljunkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I flush the Dexcool out of all my vehicles and run green antifreeze without any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts