End of lease purchase question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the off topic question but I need some wisdom here. This is in California

I am coming to the end of the lease on my 2020 Honda Civic so I called a local credit union and got approved for the purchase amount.

I called The Honda stealership where I got the car and they said I need to schedule an appointment to have the car inspected and pay $200 for this inspection. This $200 inspection fee isn't on the lease paperwork and it isn't required by Honda Financial Services who is the entity who owns the lease.

It seems this is happening because my local credit union can only purchase this car through this CUDL system (?) instead of sending a check to Honda Financial Services.

Anyways, the dealership is trying to charge me a $200 inspection fee for a car I already have. Is there a better way to navigate this situation or do I need to fork up more money for this car I already have?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the off topic question but I need some wisdom here. This is in California

I am coming to the end of the lease on my 2020 Honda Civic so I called a local credit union and got approved for the purchase amount.

I called The Honda stealership where I got the car and they said I need to schedule an appointment to have the car inspected and pay $200 for this inspection. This $200 inspection fee isn't on the lease paperwork and it isn't required by Honda Financial Services who is the entity who owns the lease.

It seems this is happening because my local credit union can only purchase this car through this CUDL system (?) instead of sending a check to Honda Financial Services.

Anyways, the dealership is trying to charge me a $200 inspection fee for a car I already have. Is there a better way to navigate this situation or do I need to fork up more money for this car I already have?
I’d check and see if you need to take it back to that dealership or any Honda Dealership. Check with other Honda dealerships and see what they say.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not clear to me if your CU would finance your outright purchase of a previously-leased vehicle. I would think it fairly restrictive if they would finance purchases only through certain dealers. Now, I know that they usually have purchasing agreements that allow members to buy from certain dealers, but I doubt that's a restricted relationship. I could be wrong (and I'd be changing CUs if that were the case).

I'd say go to the CU and ask some pointed questions. For one, why the $200 charge from the "required" dealer and would the CU get the dealer to waive that fee, since the CU apparently has some sort of agreement with that dealer? Or, am I able to purchase this auto without the "mother, may I" restrictions? How?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless After a few phone calls it sounds like CU #1 doesn't do "Lease Buyouts" so to finance through CU #1 the dealership would have to "sell" me my car again and that is why I would need to go to the dealership.

I called CU #2 and told them my intentions of getting an auto loan, sending the honda financial services (leasing company) a check in the mail and avoiding the dealership altogether. CU #2 said that they do "lease buyouts" so I think I am going to be ok by going with the new credit union although the rate is higher.

The $200 dealer inspection seems like a legal scam they can do to squeeze some more money out of people, I have a bad history with this particular dealership so I'll die before I give them another dollar of mine.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had one or more often two Hondas continuously since 1975, and I've paid off the lease on some of them (through a CU) here in NH, and the dealer has never requested an inspection or had any other active role in the transaction. I think that your dealership just wants to make some easy money.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug The preferred credit unit doesn’t do “lease buyouts” so they wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops to complete the purchase.

In the end it was easier to go with a less preferred credit union that DOES “lease buyouts” and then refinance it with my preferred credit union.

It seems the dealership was just trying to get some easy money out of me.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@petethepug The preferred credit unit doesn’t do “lease buyouts” so they wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops to complete the purchase.

In the end it was easier to go with a less preferred credit union that DOES “lease buyouts” and then refinance it with my preferred credit union.

It seems the dealership was just trying to get some easy money out of me.
Hence the name STEALERSHIP.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whoa … that’s shady. Glad you found a work around to their shenanigans. Obviously your Honda has some residual value worth the efforts they made to get it back.

When you get the right credit union behind you life is good.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug I agree. The only downside to what I did is I need to wait for the car registration to reflect the current credit union before my preferred credit union will refinance it but the plus side is... **** that dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700