Emptied Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so bit off topic, you have one on your C5Z right? are you getting much out it? makes me wonder if with all theses afm delete kits would a valley pvc location be worth while over trying to suck it out of the valve cover?

I remember there was a lot of posts back in the day to put the zo6 valley cover on the g-body cars with a little grinding.

Reaction score
I don't know why many engines have the PCV at the rear, it's one of the worst places to put a PCV valve. The engine sits tilted to the rear, so more oil is going to naturally go that way. Anywhere towards the front is always better. Front of the valve cover, front of the lower intake/valley cover, etc.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why many engines have the PCV at the rear, it's one of the worst places to put a PCV valve. The engine sits tilted to the rear, so more oil is going to naturally go that way. Anywhere towards the front is always better. Front of the valve cover, front of the lower intake/valley cover, etc.

Definitely. it's like gm gave them a 8k mile oil change lights and was OK with them drinking 2 qt during that time. they didn't change anything till forced to and just upgraded the valve cover with an extra baffle.

it definitely helped but from all the catch can posts on here, as well as my own. it definitely could have been better. I don't know if a afm engine ever got a valley pvc cover thou.

i never paid much attention to my ls3 car eating oil till seeing how much a catch can helps these trucks and then got to thinking, you know. my car eats half a qt a day during mountain trips or track days... 300$ 3 port catch can and clean side filter later, I blame my truck engine lol.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 6.2L L92, when I bought it off a used car lot in Oct 2018 w/130k miles, was consuming about 2 ounces of oil per 100 miles. So, I installed a catch and discovered 1 oz of the 2 ounces per 100 miles was being sucked thru the original GM poorly designed driverside valve cover. As a result all piston rings were stuck in their ring lands. All 8 spark plugs looked horrible (see below), but it wasn't missing a bit or throwing any codes. The other ounce per 100 miles was leaking on the grond from the rear main seal and cover.

After a little research, I found out about the following GM TSB
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf
and did the piston/combustion chamber soak, installed the improved GM valve cover design, and installed the relief valve deflector.

As a result, for the last 5+ yrs and 65k miles, oil consumption has been next to nothing and there really isn't a need for the catch can. :)

@j91z28d1
Yes the catch can I mounted on the LS1 in my 2002 C5 catches a couple of ounces/5000 miles too. The PVC system on the 2002 LS1 is much different than the setup on the 07 L92.
sparkie2.jpg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1
Yes the catch can I mounted on the LS1 in my 2002 C5 catches a couple of ounces/5000 miles too. The PVC system on the 2002 LS1 is much different than the setup on the 07 L92.
View attachment 423923

ahh I thought you had the ls6 c5 for some reason. does your ls1 have the valley cover exit or the valve cover.

my ls3 has the valley cover, which is said to be better for not sucking oil. the ls6 valley cover was a common swap to ls1 f body cars before catch cans was common. but mine still used it when driven hard. lots of high rpm decel on track and mountain roads, never noticed any use from wot pulls. and nothing noticed from normal driving.

I will find out with time, just wondering what you see since you watch this sort of stuff. I have been to busy doing nonsense to put any real miles in it yet to see if I catch anything. oddly enough, I sware it runs better. to the point I thought it might need a tune touch up, but logged the trims and they are spot on. It's got to be a placebo effect but man, it seems like it's all around smoother running engine after adding it.

Reaction score
ahh I thought you had the ls6 c5 for some reason. does your ls1 have the valley cover exit or the valve cover.

my ls3 has the valley cover, which is said to be better for not sucking oil. the ls6 valley cover was a common swap to ls1 f body cars before catch cans was common. but mine still used it when driven hard. lots of high rpm decel on track and mountain roads, never noticed any use from wot pulls. and nothing noticed from normal driving.

I will find out with time, just wondering what you see since you watch this sort of stuff. I have been to busy doing nonsense to put any real miles in it yet to see if I catch anything. oddly enough, I sware it runs better. to the point I thought it might need a tune touch up, but logged the trims and they are spot on. It's got to be a placebo effect but man, it seems like it's all around smoother running engine after adding it.
Just don't forget to check it/empty it regularly. More so in the winter, as there will be more water/condensation collected in it during cold weather

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo