07 Yukon Denali 6.2L w/186k miles, Used Oil Analysis (UOA)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 mpg is actually quite doable. I'd say a more normal mixed driving will usually return around 15-17 mpg in my experience. However, that's not to say that numerous toad trips over the years have yielded 18-21 mpg. It's a great motor and has a sweet spot around 2k rpm where it's just happy to hang out all day.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 being doable is nice.. when I was looking, I saw numbers more like those 12-15 adv use. kinda scared me away from the 6.2 as the wife's daily and she drives, I'll call it more aggressively than me haha. I was definitely looking for that one year tahoe 6.2 without all the afm stuff, just covid in the way and then I happened upon this oddball 6.0 and got. interested in it. plus by the time I was looking again and prices had doubled.

I got sucked into the whole hyper mileing, gas mileage ribbit hole probably 20 years ago now and my driving never recovered haha.

but back to oil, the result from the 0w20 amsoil makes me want to try it. but I have a long distant tow coming up in a few months. probably wait till after that if I was to do it. last time my oil Temps stayed good, but almost too good, like maybe my scanner was reporting a calculated oil temp. I'm still not sure if this has a actual sensor or not. this tow will be more NC mountains and warmer Temps too.

I saw that OP has an add on oil cooler on his as well. I could see that being nice for running thin oil?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fuel mileage is completely relevant to the big pedal, I get around 9.5/10 in the city and about 12-12.5 on very long highway trips
I can make it get less, hard for me to make it get more unless my license is suspended and even then it's nearly impossible.
very hard habit to break.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel mileage is completely relevant to the big pedal, I get around 9.5/10 in the city and about 12-12.5 on very long highway trips
I can make it get less, hard for me to make it get more unless my license is suspended and even then it's nearly impossible.
very hard habit to break.

funny thing once I starting doing more track stuff and riding motorcycle, my driving around town slowed way down and became gas mileage life haha. guess it took all the fun out of driving around town.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny thing once I starting doing more track stuff and riding motorcycle, my driving around town slowed way down and became gas mileage life haha. guess it took all the fun out of driving around town.
ya, I could only imagine being in a indy 500 race and then driving home, it would be like slow motion I would have to have someone else drive it would make me insane.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the op, I got recommended your thread on bob the oil forum, but didn't feel like registering. what component in the engine do you think the high iron came from during the over heating? it's aluminum block too?

long story but my ls3 end of a track day threw a belt, and over heated very badly. embarrassingly bad really, car went into full shut down mode and set a bunch of codes. but I was 1000miles from home, so I had to put a belt on, bleed the cooling system and drive it home on the baked oil. looking back, it was to thin to start with for a track day during a FL summer lol, 5w30 oil that was slowly dropping idle pressure after every session before that happened from 300deg Temps.

almost stopped and got an oil change on the way home but figured eh, it's going to need rebuilt anyways after that and it's got 120k of very hard miles on it. so I just drove it. sent off a oil sample when I got home and to my surprise it looked decent for what happened. iron was 32. chrome was a bit high at 9. I'm guessing ring wear from abuse?

I realize you're very knowledgeable about these oil tests, i was wondering where you thought the iron in yours would come from, as the ls3 is very similar to the L92?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989