EMP protection devices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Building out a few fuel injected bug-out vehicles I have parked on my properties. Was able to find high quality EMP shield devices but they're EXPENSIVE. Figured I'd check with you pros for anyone with knowledge on how to wire up something less expensive that'll work.

Any genius' out there?

Brother Bluto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To be honest, you need to find a mechanically injected diesel vehcile. This is a much better choice for two reasons. First, they are, as is obvious, mechanically injected, not electronic. Second, an older diesel will ingest a multitude of fuel. In a pinch, I got out of a jam by mixing gasoline and used motor oil. Wouldnt recommend it, but, and example of what they will run on. I had an 86 diesel 2500 suburban (it was electronically injected) that was an absolute beast.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get an old surplus Deuce and half.........no electronics, run on pretty much anything and can go anyplace. Its the perfect all in 1 bug out vehicle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an old surplus Deuce and half.........no electronics, run on pretty much anything and can go anyplace. Its the perfect all in 1 bug out vehicle.
Have almost pulled the trigger on them a few times myself! Even a 5-ton once! Those multi-fuel engines are cool. Parking was the issue, it would have crushed my concrete driveway or ruined the septic drain fields or tank if not careful.

What else defeats EMP blasts on the cheap, how about a points ignition?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ well those are some important considerations for sure.

Guess it really comes down to the overall need and use. EMP protection can be done w/o super expensive kits. I'll see if I can dig up some resources.

I use to work in Electronic Warfare for DoD, we use to come up with some crafty $hit for testing and evaluation of equipment while not ******* off the FCC LOL

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Literature says most vehicles will not fail from EMP anyway. For an extra measure of protection you could park in a metal building if one is handy. Or build yourself a homemade faraday cage.

If you want additional protection while driving it then my experience with keeping industrial electronics running through lightning storms was that cost and efficacy were closely correlated.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ well those are some important considerations for sure.

Guess it really comes down to the overall need and use. EMP protection can be done w/o super expensive kits. I'll see if I can dig up some resources.

I use to work in Electronic Warfare for DoD, we use to come up with some crafty $hit for testing and evaluation of equipment while not ******* off the FCC LOL
--------------
Went ahead and purchased an EMP Shield device for my daily driver. These are what our military use and work continuously without degradation. Not sure how easily it can be reverse engineered though.. looks a bit complex.

Let me know if you end up coming up something a guy could put together with parts found locally. Not trying to spend a few grand for the rest of my fleet, but will if I have to.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything with a chip in it needs to spike protected, even when unplugged. So Generator and points ignition. And the coil or condenser could still fry. Those store in metal lunchbox in truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts