Emergency lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to add a set of front and rear white or white/amber strobe lights to my Tahoe. I work on Powerline transmission right-of-ways and sometimes park along roads or enter into construction areas where I need the additional visibility.

I currently run some of the pro strobe windshield suction cup units in my GMC Canyon. They work great for a small truck, but I have too many cords strung everywhere. I would like to have a controller and some small hidden lights on the front and back. I would also consider doing some type of wig wag system if someone has any opinions or experience with them.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whelen has always been what I’ve considered top shelf stuff. Helped my dad out some of there stuff on his personal trucks when he was Fire Chief of our towns Volunteer Fire Department. Over the course of 32 years as chief, he went through a few trucks.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whelen has always been what I’ve considered top shelf stuff. Helped my dad out some of there stuff on his personal trucks when he was Fire Chief of our towns Volunteer Fire Department. Over the course of 32 years as chief, he went through a few trucks.
I'm trying to keep it in the $400.00 range. I've seen some nice reviewed on the Feniex brand stuff as well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put a cheap cargo basket on the roof and put led bar lights on all 4 sides, ******* light the whole area, seen a security truck with that setup in a subdivision they are building next to ours, badass!

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a cheap cargo basket on the roof and put led bar lights on all 4 sides, ******* light the whole area, seen a security truck with that setup in a subdivision they are building next to ours, badass!
There is a 90's 3/4 ton suburban that has a massive basket on top of it with a bunch of lights that runs around here. It looks like something from MadMax.

I just need something that will give me some extra hazard lights so I'm more visible when filming roadways or rolling into construction areas. I found a system called the speed turtle 2.0, it plugs into the OBD2 port and can control the factory lights like a strobe system. I just emailed them to see if their 3.0 system is compatible and what the advantage to it over the 2.0 is.

I would like to add some additional lights front and rear though (and a basket would be sweet). I'm leaning toward adding some rigid style cubes in the factory fog light location (mine doesn't have dogs or a factory switch) and some type of rear facing lights. If I don't go with the speed turtle, it looks like I could use the Feniex typhoon system to run strobes plus any auxillary lights to control all add on lights (fog)/bars etc.

I wish I could find someone with an overland type build. I have yet to see one of these with a winch and other offroad goodies.

Nick

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a 90's 3/4 ton suburban that has a massive basket on top of it with a bunch of lights that runs around here. It looks like something from MadMax.

I just need something that will give me some extra hazard lights so I'm more visible when filming roadways or rolling into construction areas. I found a system called the speed turtle 2.0, it plugs into the OBD2 port and can control the factory lights like a strobe system. I just emailed them to see if their 3.0 system is compatible and what the advantage to it over the 2.0 is.

I would like to add some additional lights front and rear though (and a basket would be sweet). I'm leaning toward adding some rigid style cubes in the factory fog light location (mine doesn't have dogs or a factory switch) and some type of rear facing lights. If I don't go with the speed turtle, it looks like I could use the Feniex typhoon system to run strobes plus any auxillary lights to control all add on lights (fog)/bars etc.

I wish I could find someone with an overland type build. I have yet to see one of these with a winch and other offroad goodies.

Nick

def more options for the suv's out there, the only one that makes a cube setup for my silverado is baja designs and the kit is basically $500 (to replace the factory fog's) otherwise you can get the cubes that mount to the hood which wouldn't be any use for me

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nick! I've been installing and using emergency lighting for over 15 years now. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT go with Amazon, STL/Feniex, Extreme Tactical Dynamics, Hg2, WarningWorx or Led outfitters. They are very cheaply made and will not last. You get what you pay for...

If you hate your BCM get a Speed Turtle but it will eventually fry your BCM.

Whelen, SoundOff, Code3 and Federal Signal are your go to brands. Personally for me in that order.

If you want to keep your truck looking stock, go for something simple such as LED HAWs (hideaways) to add to your taillights and an interior bar to the rear glass, same for the front. For the front you can even do something as simple as a couple of grill lights and be done with it. I suggest Cannons for the LED HAWs. Brightest in the market with 12 LED diodes total as opposed to the average 6 diodes.

If you plan on adding a rack then go with your best option which is a 48" Whelen Liberty 1 or Justice or Cenator lightbar for a full 360 degrees of warning. For a $400 range you should check eBay, there's plenty. Code3 and FedSig also have some good bars

$400 will not get you far for new LEDs. The only way to stay around $400 is if you go on ebay and get used Whelen which I've done myself and till this day I still have them running as new.

The ONLY Feniex product I would buy and I actually have in my Hoe are the Cannons. They replaced my reverse lights and they are also set to flash so they have dual functions. In your case you can get the amber/white colors. White for your reverse and amber for warning.

For a controller you could do a switch box:
https://www.strobesnmore.com/StrobesNMoreSwitch6

The Typhoon is limiting you to only 6 outputs @ 3.5amps each. And you're paying for features you won't need such as 21 siren tones.

Since you will most probably be stationary on roadways and you aren't running lights and sirens I suggest a slow alternating pattern alerting drivers and others of your stationary presence and it suggests to slow down.

Traditional headlight WigWags are for running lights and sirens in order to clear traffic out of your way, no need for this.

Again $400 will not outfit your truck they way you want it to. So you might want to save up a bit more and have it done properly with quality products. I've seen it a thousand times where guys spend about the same but want more and they end up with the chinese knock-off crap and eventually end up paying more in the long run replacing with brands such as the ones I mentioned.

If you're on Facebook you should check out a couple of pages with TONS of info for what you need and want. Also members on there are always selling tons of equipment.

Emergency Lights and Siren Enthusiasts
Custom Whelen builds
The Whelen command group
Emergency vehicle upfitting technology and information
Emergency vehicle upfitters showcase
Sirens/other emergency equipment
JB's Emergency lighting
Upfitter marketplace

Oh and btw, please for the love of god, don't flash white to the rear! It's blinding to drivers coming up behind you and next thing you know they rear-end the crap out of you. Trust me I've seen it. I'd be more than happy to help if you need any more info.

Here are my setups:

IMG_4828.jpg IMG_2501.jpg IMG_4826.jpg IMG_4824.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345