Emergency lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
How's something like these?IMAG1826001_1538654220375.jpg IMAG1827001_1538654220289.jpg IMAG1828001_1538654220624.jpg IMAG1829001_1538654220492.jpg IMAG1830001_1538654220712.jpg
A guy was running these on his pickup. He did something similar to what you do. They left all the strobes and lights in and just cut these out.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in construction also and like to help when I see somebody broke down and help provide safety. I have something similar to the Puslar 8 on my front dash. If I am stuck at a red light at night and nobody is around I will use it to trigger the light to green LOL. They are pretty bright. Glad this thread popped up because I want to put another set in my upper tail glass window for the back.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nick! I've been installing and using emergency lighting for over 15 years now. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT go with Amazon, STL/Feniex, Extreme Tactical Dynamics, Hg2, WarningWorx or Led outfitters. They are very cheaply made and will not last. You get what you pay for...

If you hate your BCM get a Speed Turtle but it will eventually fry your BCM.

Whelen, SoundOff, Code3 and Federal Signal are your go to brands. Personally for me in that order.

If you want to keep your truck looking stock, go for something simple such as LED HAWs (hideaways) to add to your taillights and an interior bar to the rear glass, same for the front. For the front you can even do something as simple as a couple of grill lights and be done with it. I suggest Cannons for the LED HAWs. Brightest in the market with 12 LED diodes total as opposed to the average 6 diodes.

If you plan on adding a rack then go with your best option which is a 48" Whelen Liberty 1 or Justice or Cenator lightbar for a full 360 degrees of warning. For a $400 range you should check eBay, there's plenty. Code3 and FedSig also have some good bars

$400 will not get you far for new LEDs. The only way to stay around $400 is if you go on ebay and get used Whelen which I've done myself and till this day I still have them running as new.

The ONLY Feniex product I would buy and I actually have in my Hoe are the Cannons. They replaced my reverse lights and they are also set to flash so they have dual functions. In your case you can get the amber/white colors. White for your reverse and amber for warning.

For a controller you could do a switch box:
https://www.strobesnmore.com/StrobesNMoreSwitch6

The Typhoon is limiting you to only 6 outputs @ 3.5amps each. And you're paying for features you won't need such as 21 siren tones.

Since you will most probably be stationary on roadways and you aren't running lights and sirens I suggest a slow alternating pattern alerting drivers and others of your stationary presence and it suggests to slow down.

Traditional headlight WigWags are for running lights and sirens in order to clear traffic out of your way, no need for this.

Again $400 will not outfit your truck they way you want it to. So you might want to save up a bit more and have it done properly with quality products. I've seen it a thousand times where guys spend about the same but want more and they end up with the chinese knock-off crap and eventually end up paying more in the long run replacing with brands such as the ones I mentioned.

If you're on Facebook you should check out a couple of pages with TONS of info for what you need and want. Also members on there are always selling tons of equipment.

Emergency Lights and Siren Enthusiasts
Custom Whelen builds
The Whelen command group
Emergency vehicle upfitting technology and information
Emergency vehicle upfitters showcase
Sirens/other emergency equipment
JB's Emergency lighting
Upfitter marketplace

Oh and btw, please for the love of god, don't flash white to the rear! It's blinding to drivers coming up behind you and next thing you know they rear-end the crap out of you. Trust me I've seen it. I'd be more than happy to help if you need any more info.

Here are my setups:

View attachment 253895 View attachment 253896 View attachment 253897 View attachment 253898
I've been running the cheap ProStrobe Rocky Pro 4 (2 in back glass) and ProStrobe Rocky Pro 8 (2 in windshield of my truck). They are white and I have them all plugged into a 4 socket 12v splitter. They seem to work fine for my truck. I have a single switch to turn the splitter on and off so I don't have to turn them on individually.

I hadn't read anything bad about the Speed Turtle system, but then again I also didn't know it was a thing until recently. Will it ruin the BCM?

I only considered the Feniex system because of the switch layout. I don't need a siren, but thought it might be an easy way to control auxillary lights as well as the strobe lights. If I can get something that will last a few years that's fine. 90% of the guys I work with run an Amber beacon or mini bar on their roof. I absolutely hate that and waned something semi hidden. The ProStrobe lights I have seem to work well on my truck (suction cups on the 4" bars suck though). I just don't want to have wires strung across the Tahoe for passengers to climb over.

I have been watching eBay. I know Whelen has a mount to stick lights in the grill (I assume that's what you have). I like that setup. There are so many options out there, but I only run mine for short periods of time and only on occasion. If I needed it constantly, I wouldn't mind spending much more. I'm actually not even required to have them, I purchased them more for my own piece of mind (and because I got an amazing deal). It amazes me how many folks don't pay attention without them. Then again.. I think some folks are drawn to the lights like a moth to a flame. FYI, I only run these during the daytime. I don't work evenings.

Thank you again! Love the light setup on your Tahoe.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this grill insert and the idea of adding a couple of auxillary light cubes. It's not very incognito, but looks pretty cool. It's way outside my budget, I just love the setup.

c824fada82cd7d3b9d1383ac15adb0a5.jpg2d4d7c46a83456eea0bb8facc5519ae1.jpg3f746be61aca9c8a5a2c4bb0d6d41a37.jpg94285eb40970806835e474148ab4b778.jpg

Last edited:

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this grill insert and the idea of adding a couple of auxillary light cubes. It's not very incognito, but looks pretty cool. It's way outside my budget, I just love the setup.

c824fada82cd7d3b9d1383ac15adb0a5.jpg2d4d7c46a83456eea0bb8facc5519ae1.jpg3f746be61aca9c8a5a2c4bb0d6d41a37.jpg94285eb40970806835e474148ab4b778.jpg

The Rockland IllumiGrille, love it but a bit much. I like my set up better, a lot cleaner.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rockland IllumiGrille, love it but a bit much. I like my set up better, a lot cleaner.
I agree, yours is much cleaner and the grill lights are much less obvious too.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nick! I've been installing and using emergency lighting for over 15 years now. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT go with Amazon, STL/Feniex, Extreme Tactical Dynamics, Hg2, WarningWorx or Led outfitters. They are very cheaply made and will not last. You get what you pay for...

If you hate your BCM get a Speed Turtle but it will eventually fry your BCM.

Whelen, SoundOff, Code3 and Federal Signal are your go to brands. Personally for me in that order.

If you want to keep your truck looking stock, go for something simple such as LED HAWs (hideaways) to add to your taillights and an interior bar to the rear glass, same for the front. For the front you can even do something as simple as a couple of grill lights and be done with it. I suggest Cannons for the LED HAWs. Brightest in the market with 12 LED diodes total as opposed to the average 6 diodes.

If you plan on adding a rack then go with your best option which is a 48" Whelen Liberty 1 or Justice or Cenator lightbar for a full 360 degrees of warning. For a $400 range you should check eBay, there's plenty. Code3 and FedSig also have some good bars

$400 will not get you far for new LEDs. The only way to stay around $400 is if you go on ebay and get used Whelen which I've done myself and till this day I still have them running as new.

The ONLY Feniex product I would buy and I actually have in my Hoe are the Cannons. They replaced my reverse lights and they are also set to flash so they have dual functions. In your case you can get the amber/white colors. White for your reverse and amber for warning.

For a controller you could do a switch box:
https://www.strobesnmore.com/StrobesNMoreSwitch6

The Typhoon is limiting you to only 6 outputs @ 3.5amps each. And you're paying for features you won't need such as 21 siren tones.

Since you will most probably be stationary on roadways and you aren't running lights and sirens I suggest a slow alternating pattern alerting drivers and others of your stationary presence and it suggests to slow down.

Traditional headlight WigWags are for running lights and sirens in order to clear traffic out of your way, no need for this.

Again $400 will not outfit your truck they way you want it to. So you might want to save up a bit more and have it done properly with quality products. I've seen it a thousand times where guys spend about the same but want more and they end up with the chinese knock-off crap and eventually end up paying more in the long run replacing with brands such as the ones I mentioned.

If you're on Facebook you should check out a couple of pages with TONS of info for what you need and want. Also members on there are always selling tons of equipment.

Emergency Lights and Siren Enthusiasts
Custom Whelen builds
The Whelen command group
Emergency vehicle upfitting technology and information
Emergency vehicle upfitters showcase
Sirens/other emergency equipment
JB's Emergency lighting
Upfitter marketplace

Oh and btw, please for the love of god, don't flash white to the rear! It's blinding to drivers coming up behind you and next thing you know they rear-end the crap out of you. Trust me I've seen it. I'd be more than happy to help if you need any more info.

Here are my setups:

View attachment 253895 View attachment 253896 View attachment 253897 View attachment 253898
What are the lights mounted by your hitch?

Rick M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with GranPrix on NOT using white lights to the rear! In many states, that is actually illegal if the vehicle is being operated. I run both Feniex Fusion light bars (headliner and rocker panel) on my 2015 Tahoe. All of the rest of the lights are Whelen. If you want a really clean install in the grill, Whelen makes a bracket set that lets you mount up to 4 ION lights in the space to the left/right of the bow tie. Very subtle, but not particularly cheap! Stay away from the el cheapo $40 Chinese crap on e-bay -- most of them are so low powered that they barely show up at night, much less during the day. If you use some sort of temporary lightbar setup, don't expect to go down the highway at 70 MPH with just magnets holding it on -- that's just asking for a lawsuit when that sucker comes off. For an inexpensive controller, you might check out SoundOff's 4- or 8-port remote unit. Very tiny flat panel switch unit connects back to the relay units using a 4-conducter telephone-type cord. Less than $150 at most vendors.

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
I also agree with GranPrix with using quality equipment. I also have been upfitting vehicles for many years. We use a lot of Whelen too, but Sound Off Signal, Code 3, Star, and. Brookings have many options that are more economical. We use those three on Public Works vehicles with white and amber. I like Code 3 #HB4PAKMC-AW ( amber/ white) for grille lights. They are super bright, multiple flash patterns. They come 2 to box, alternate from amber to white in same bulb. I buy grommet mounts, but you can get them as a bracket mount as well. I also use these in my unmarked police cars as red and blue. Spray a little VHT on them and they blend in like a back up sensor. I will try to put some pics up. Star makes some nice mini inside windshield lightbars with multiple functions. The Star light bars we use are model# ULB-28 for front snd ULB-38 for rears. You can get Tahoe specific brackets for these. We also use Brookings 6 head warning sticks with a traffic advisory function for rear of service trucks and or in the rear inside window.

Here in Central Florida most agencies use Dana Safety Supply (DSS). Lights and More does not have a good reputation here.

Pics and videos are on our 2019 F550 shop service truck. The fronts are the Code 3's, rear is Brookings, the side runners are Sound Off Signal (nLines), and the roof bar is also a Sound Off Signal (nRoads).

20200803_124614.jpg 20200803_124627.jpg 20200803_124711.jpg 20200803_124829.jpg 20200803_124912.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt