Emergency help... Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the tow/haul mode engaged? Are you in 2WD?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
ill go with swathdriver's guess. The fact that it occured upon a downshift and when you attempt to move the vehicle you feel/sense resistance you are likely losing line pressure through an internal leak. broken/fractured clutch housing/application piston. it is odd that the engine died? no trans issue should shut the engine off? are you sure it didnt vapor lock? it is so hard to accurately "guess", put it in drive and limp to an off ramp, how far are you from your destination? find a safe place to spend the night in the trailer and make a plan for the morning?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 11 suburban, ltz, 4x4,towing pkg. Pulling a 3k lb trailer, and a loaded cab area. In Colorado, pulling up a pass. Truck down shifted to 4th gear, and felt like something popped, engine died. Temp was running 160ish before the pass, and got up to 200 when it happened. Any ideas? Truck will go into gear and pull forward, but feels like there is some hesitation. Thanks. Currently sitting on the side of the road.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
and thats why we use manual(M) mode to cap the gear from blowing the transmission. on the uphill....

Last edited:

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my guess if it runs and moves ..fuel pump is taking a dump ran lean that's the pop in motor and pressure low in fuel lines is my guess . It's a long shot .
Second thought you dropped lifter in the active fuel management .I just noticed it was 2011.. [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Drgracin72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
and thats why we use manual(M) mode to cap the gear from blowing the transmission. on the uphill....
I was in manual mode. Downshifted it to 4th when it happened. Was able to limp to nearest town.
Tube for dip stick was busted. Replaced that, all fluid was burned. Did a flush and service on tranny and seems to be running fine now. No codes, and didn't do anything weird after the fact. Sorry it's taken awhile for an update, we're up in the mountains and don't have signal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal [emoji106] when you say Manuel mode is that not overdrive ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz