Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much energy is lost in the battery pack due to the cold?

I can see a future with trailers having battery packs and or generators to power/re-charge the tow vehicle!

The automakers love them because electric motors are cheap compared to reciprocating engines and their development.
That's a realistic scenario, IMHO. Future RVs will carry a 1MW battery in the floor and charge from solar panels on the roof and walls, and wind turbines at all 4 corners will wring out even more energy while you boondock for a month. RV parks will have 480v industrial power and "charge" $350/night for an "ampsite". Price tag for one of these trailers: about the same as a conventional house. Those who can afford the price will sign up for it and finance the development costs. The rest of us will pull our campers with our ancient ICEosaurs for another 30 years until the electricity storage tech brings the price in line with what we can afford. This new breed of off-gridders with means will be known as "Ampers".

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love how you guys come up with these unrealistic scenarios for EVs but act like an ICE has never left someone stranded.

here ya go..tesla camp mode.. uses 15-20% battery in an overnight subfreezing condition. leaving your engine running for 16 hours straight and let me know if you've only wasted a 1/4 tank of gas

and thats with a battery half the size of the reported silverado 200kw battery
Pretty cool. For commuter car they are fine for many folks. I am skeptical about their ability to haul a load over any great distance. I saw some EV big rigs last night, 250 mile range for a day.

The lowest fuel burn recorded for the Yukon was 1.3 GPH on E30 @ 26 MPH. The Sierra once got 1.2 GPH in Daytona, average speed of 4 MPH on E70.

ItIsWhatItIs

Reaction score
Pretty cool. For commuter car they are fine for many folks. I am skeptical about their ability to haul a load over any great distance. I saw some EV big rigs last night, 250 mile range for a day.

The lowest fuel burn recorded for the Yukon was 1.3 GPH on E30 @ 26 MPH. The Sierra once got 1.2 GPH in Daytona, average speed of 4 MPH on E70.
My bolt works great as a commuter. I charge at home nightly so is no biggie, and it gets me that sweet sweet HOV land access. And when I commute 25k miles a year the maintenance savings have already piled up compared to the pickup and even outback as I was previously commuting with.

But I can’t wait to get my Dmax Yukon as the new family and towing vehicle. EV’s have a long way to go before I will be using one for long range camping or road trips.

ItIsWhatItIs

Reaction score
It always tickles me when someone points out the "deal breaker" for EV's in our future.

For me, my pet "deal breaker" is the grid. I really believe a collision is coming between the reality of "sustainable" energy production deployment (which tends to be legislatively driven) versus real world usage requirements (regardless of how fast or slow EV adoption happens). I think there is a lot of pain (and greenflation) in all of our futures.

Anyone who doubts this can happen, just consider that the Fed just decided Inflation is actually a real problem and plans are being drawn up to deal with it in a very serious manner, all the while congress has just started bi-partisan discussions on another Covid stimulus bill... You can't make this stuff up.
I’m with you. We should be building nuclear power plants now with all of the auto manufacturers currently saying they will be close to our all EV by 2030. I’m not saying nuclear is forever, but it’s the best option we can currently build. Solar and wind just aren’t reliable enough for the future needs. And the fact that birds are spontaneously combusting when they fly over the California Solar fields so pushing all of that heat into our atmosphere has to have some kind of negative affect.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As before, Silverado leads then Tahoe/Suburban follow the next year. Rumors are that the year after the electric Silverado is out, we’ll see an EV Tahoe/Suburban!

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

754 Horsepower! 785 lb-ft of torque!! It’s happening, GM is doing what it said it would do, move towards electric. It’s just a matter of time before the EV Tahoe/Suburban are introduced​

2024 GMC Sierra EV Eyes F-150 Lightning With Conventional Looks, Huge Power, Clever Midgate​

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

754 Horsepower! 785 lb-ft of torque!! It’s happening, GM is doing what it said it would do, move towards electric. It’s just a matter of time before the EV Tahoe/Suburban are introduced​

2024 GMC Sierra EV Eyes F-150 Lightning With Conventional Looks, Huge Power, Clever Midgate​

$107k insane! The Yukon ev will probably be $125k+. Who can afford these

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would of been open to the idea of buying an all electric Tukon AT4 earlier this year when i bought mine, but since it's not currently available, oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.