Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how that EV will handle a 20 hour traffic jam in 10 degree weather? How do you get heat?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how that EV will handle a 20 hour traffic jam in 10 degree weather? How do you get heat?
electricity is incredibly easy to determine this...
200kw battery
even if the heater uses 5kwh, doubtful as this could heat a 2500sq ft house, for heat. you can comfortably heat your new silverado for 40 hours at full blast. likely after initially heated up you would need less than half that to maintain a temp.
if youre not propelling the vehicle the only other load would be what? the radio?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200kw battery
even if the heater uses 5kwh, doubtful as this could heat a 2500sq ft house, for heat. you can comfortably heat your new silverado for 40 hours at full blast. likely after initially heated up you would need less than half that to maintain a temp.
if youre not propelling the vehicle the only other load would be what? the radio?
And powering all of the kids phones and ipads lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200kw battery
How much energy is lost in the battery pack due to the cold?

I can see a future with trailers having battery packs and or generators to power/re-charge the tow vehicle!

The automakers love them because electric motors are cheap compared to reciprocating engines and their development.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love how you guys come up with these unrealistic scenarios for EVs but act like an ICE has never left someone stranded.

here ya go..tesla camp mode.. uses 15-20% battery in an overnight subfreezing condition. leaving your engine running for 16 hours straight and let me know if you've only wasted a 1/4 tank of gas

and thats with a battery half the size of the reported silverado 200kw battery

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It always tickles me when someone points out the "deal breaker" for EV's in our future.

For me, my pet "deal breaker" is the grid. I really believe a collision is coming between the reality of "sustainable" energy production deployment (which tends to be legislatively driven) versus real world usage requirements (regardless of how fast or slow EV adoption happens). I think there is a lot of pain (and greenflation) in all of our futures.

Anyone who doubts this can happen, just consider that the Fed just decided Inflation is actually a real problem and plans are being drawn up to deal with it in a very serious manner, all the while congress has just started bi-partisan discussions on another Covid stimulus bill... You can't make this stuff up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It always tickles me when someone points out the "deal breaker" for EV's in our future.

For me, my pet "deal breaker" is the grid. I really believe a collision is coming between the reality of "sustainable" energy production deployment (which tends to be legislatively driven) versus real world usage requirements (regardless of how fast or slow EV adoption happens). I think there is a lot of pain (and greenflation) in all of our futures.

Anyone who doubts this can happen, just consider that the Fed just decided Inflation is actually a real problem and plans are being drawn up to deal with it in a very serious manner, all the while congress has just started bi-partisan discussions on another Covid stimulus bill... You can't make this stuff up.
Not a problem. I have a 10kw generator at home to charge my EV. Burns as clean as a 1970 Galaxie 500, too.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a problem. I have a 10kw generator at home to charge my EV. Burns as clean as a 1970 Galaxie 500, too.
In my last house, the original owner was a bit of a prepper. He had installed a Generac 40kW propane powered generator, all the transfer switches, etc. It worked really well, but when I considered how many times we actually had it come on (versus all the maintenance, etc.), when we built our current house I dismissed the idea of installing one.

As I look to the future, I am making plans for installing one. I have it all worked out where I will put it. Just waiting for the inevitable downturn as the Fed gets serious about inflation, maybe then I can get the attention of the contractors I need. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr