Electric Fans Vs Clutch Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
Just seems like a lot of work to keep the truck cool at idle. I’ve got a lot of guys on this post telling me to keep the clutch fan. And then a few of you guys who have done the electric fan mod. To be honest Im torn on what to do. I sit at idle way more than I tow so the cooling situation there needs to be addressed in some way. At this point I’m just not sure how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. You need to figure out what the root cause of your overheating problem is before you decide to upgrade to e-fans. A lot of my orginal problems were from a bad clutch fan.

Romey10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just seems like a lot of work to keep the truck cool at idle. I’ve got a lot of guys on this post telling me to keep the clutch fan. And then a few of you guys who have done the electric fan mod. To be honest Im torn on what to do. I sit at idle way more than I tow so the cooling situation there needs to be addressed in some way. At this point I’m just not sure how.

Imo if you plan on keeping your truck do the efan conversion you’ll love it. The a/c will blow so cold at idle, it’ll have a little more pep to it not having to spin that clutch fan, you gain all kinds of extra room in there for belt changes there’s probably a good reason gm went to efans in 05 and up. Like I mentioned earlier I wish I would’ve done this years ago.

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up guys

Was sitting today with in the truck and it got so hot that a warning message popped up about the engine being to warm & the AC was shutting down. In defense of the truck it was extremely hot today.

Now this has never happened to me before. My question is would electric fans cool better in stop and go traffic and or idling ? I’ve heard they are more efficient. And if so what would it take to put electric fans in Goldie (My 2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500)

Anyone have any input on this ?

I converted my 2003 2500 Yukon to twin electric fans to try to get additional cooling for our desert conditions, as well as take some load off the engine. However, after several power supply issues I switched back. I would rather run with a bad clutch than risk it all with no cooling fans. A better design would be independent power to each fan. At least blown power would affect only one fan. Too much risk. So when shopping for electric, ask about the power supply design.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

Those fan motors look like twin 700 watt? They move massive air! Im running one 500 on the 5 blade and a 700 on the 7 blade. I have the other 700 sitting here and am so tempted to try them both again, The first time i wasnt using an overdrive pulley and at an idle the current draw from the fans going to high glitched my radio. I now run the denso 220 amp alt with 2 inch overdrive and feel it is worth trying again. Your system is proof it works!

Romey10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those fan motors look like twin 700 watt? They move massive air! Im running one 500 on the 5 blade and a 700 on the 7 blade. I have the other 700 sitting here and am so tempted to try them both again, The first time i wasnt using an overdrive pulley and at an idle the current draw from the fans going to high glitched my radio. I now run the denso 220 amp alt with 2 inch overdrive and feel it is worth trying again. Your system is proof it works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbrown415