Electric fan conversion MPG gains question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at doing the electric fan conversion on my z71 2004 Tahoe. But, I did not find too much on the actual MPG gains and other.

For those of you who have actually done this conversion, did anyone make notes of before and after average MPG? I would be interested in hearing some facts. I know the vendors of these conversion always spit out amazing numbers but I am skeptical when it comes from vendor.

Has anyone done HP tests before and after?

Thanks.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I saw the claim, but I think it was from one of the reviewers on the 2005 model year trucks when GM switched to electric fans.

I believe they claimed a 1mpg increase due to removing the drag from the engine. No horsepower gains though although I'm sure there are some when you compare the mechanical fan engaged versus not engaged.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing from people who have actually done the conversion. Someone must have paid attention before and after to the MPG?

scagle1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had a tune done two weeks ago and the guy who did it works on strictly LS motors. He said the biggest MpG increase he does out of anything is the electric fan swap , usually netting better than 1 mpg. Next mod on my list. Subscribed for real world #'s.....

candyman74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cobra i have those same fans in my 01 tahoe and they work and fit perfect i got mine thru rockauto.com they are a bit noisy but thats cause of the extra blades only with both fans on high though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts