Dub's audio wormhole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you program it for your vehicle and deck?

Apparently, it automatically identifies what it's connected to upon power-up. It correctly identified the HU as a Pioneer. The wire that it told me was "disconnected" is the phone mute wire, which makes sense since I don't have this function on my truck. The instructions said to press the "volume up" button on the steering wheel during this initialization period so that it programs to the vehicle. I tried holding it and pressing it on and off repeatedly in long and short increments to no avail. Tried a factory reset and let it program again- no difference. I'm gonna have Axxess's tech support hold my hand on this one, I just haven't had the chance to open the dash back up to retest and call them. I did remove most of the clips from the trim piece so it can be taken off much more easily until it's all settled.

swat2380

Reaction score
Apparently, it automatically identifies what it's connected to upon power-up. It correctly identified the HU as a Pioneer. The wire that it told me was "disconnected" is the phone mute wire, which makes sense since I don't have this function on my truck. The instructions said to press the "volume up" button on the steering wheel during this initialization period so that it programs to the vehicle. I tried holding it and pressing it on and off repeatedly in long and short increments to no avail. Tried a factory reset and let it program again- no difference. I'm gonna have Axxess's tech support hold my hand on this one, I just haven't had the chance to open the dash back up to retest and call them. I did remove most of the clips from the trim piece so it can be taken off much more easily until it's all settled.

Hmmm I do them all the time and always program them. They work ok for Jeep, Chrysler l, Toyota, and some others but can't remember the last GM we did. Those get PAC or Maeatro RR

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
I used a PAC RP5-GM31 and lost nothing but the microphone in the headliner above the driver's seat. Took me some troubleshooting to get everything plugged in/wired right, but it works. Truck is an 09 LTZ w/ factory nav and Bose.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a PAC RP5-GM31 and lost nothing but the microphone in the headliner above the driver's seat. Took me some troubleshooting to get everything plugged in/wired right, but it works. Truck is an 09 LTZ w/ factory nav and Bose.

I used the same and still kept the mic and on star. Literally had to delete all saved phones. When I got phone calls, both interfaces (pioneer and OEM) would battle for the mic. Many times my whole radio would go black while my phone call still works. Still not even sure how that was happening. Basically trying to say everything was retained...

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
I used the same and still kept the mic and on star. Literally had to delete all saved phones. When I got phone calls, both interfaces (pioneer and OEM) would battle for the mic. Many times my whole radio would go black while my phone call still works. Still not even sure how that was happening. Basically trying to say everything was retained...
How did you keep the microphone? I really don't want to have to find a place for the cheap one Sony included with my HU...

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you keep the microphone? I really don't want to have to find a place for the cheap one Sony included with my HU...

I'll say this, I never had an issue with the OEM mic but I think the aftermarket ones should be just as good or better since they are newer. The most common place to install is behind the rear view mirror and its pretty easy to do so. I dont think the OEM Mic was connected to the pioneer. The main reason you dont want to use oem mic is the install. It seems to be bundled with bluetooth/onstar/mic. As long as you retain the on star, the mic should retain. When you make requests through on star, it uses that mic so I think there is a connection between the 2. But it wont work with aftermarket HU unless you do some crazy custom work. Aftermarket HU's have a mic input unlike OEM so you would have to find the mic wire and somehow convert it to an input that can go into the mic port. Even if you got this to work, the OEM bluetooth seeThe OEM bluetooth was also retained. So when my phone (which was already setup with stock bluetooth) got a call, the OEM bluetooth would engage and I guess over ride the aftermarket HU shutting the screen off but allowing voice to come through the speakers.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
So when my phone (which was already setup with stock bluetooth) got a call, the OEM bluetooth would engage and I guess over ride the aftermarket HU shutting the screen off but allowing voice to come through the speakers.
Ok I understand what you mean now. And yes, I have that same issue.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Pioneer's mic in the OHC where the factory mic was. I just popped the factory mic out of it's clips and tucked it to the side. The Pioneer mic isn't really working so well and it may just be because it moved from where I put it so it's holes aren't in line with the mic grille in the OHC. I may see if the factory mic can be connected to the Pioneer. I'd just solder the Pioneer mic's wires to the factory mic's wires.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maestro are so much better and programmable on your computer IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01