Driveshaft replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
I've recently heard a rumor that our driveshafts like to explode around the 105 mph mark. Does this hold any truth? If so...what the heck are we replacing them with?

Something like this? https://driveshaftstore.com/Chevrolet-Tahoe-Driveshaft-2012-366970

What is the weakpoint? Is it the "stuffing" in the driveshaft that causes it to lose balance at high shaft speed, or is it the U-Joints?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently heard a rumor that our driveshafts like to explode around the 105 mph mark. Does this hold any truth? If so...what the heck are we replacing them with?

Something like this? https://driveshaftstore.com/Chevrolet-Tahoe-Driveshaft-2012-366970

What is the weakpoint? Is it the "stuffing" in the driveshaft that causes it to lose balance at high shaft speed, or is it the U-Joints?
although it "has" happened, most likely due to either bad u-joints or extreme power added.
It's not something that happens often at all and it's non-sense to say it will happen at yada-yada speed consistently (within the limits of what these vehicles can do with a stock engine). plenty of police vehicles out there blasting around in high speed chases and have the exact same drive line..........you don't hear about there drive lines exploding...
be more worried about the tire being rated for speed.
that all being said I bought the Dorman myself after some un-related-to-speed issue's and there are tons of places that build them.
I have personally had mine up to 142 and lots of times well over 105 and it didn't explode, and I have had multiple other gm suv's up around the same speed for extended periods and none exploded......
hell I might hit 105 just getting on the freeway....not worried in the slightest. I keep it maintained. I had it at 105 yesterday as a matter of fact

is it a good idea to consider a better drive line>? of course it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
although it "has" happened, most likely due to either bad u-joints or extreme power added.
It's not something that happens often at all and it's non-sense to say it will happen at yada-yada speed consistently (within the limits of what these vehicles can do with a stock engine). plenty of police vehicles out there blasting around in high speed chases and have the exact same drive line..........you don't hear about there drive lines exploding...
be more worried about the tire being rated for speed.
that all being said I bought the Dorman myself after some un-related-to-speed issue's and there are tons of places that build them.
I have personally had mine up to 142 and lots of times well over 105 and it didn't explode, and I have had multiple other gm suv's up around the same speed for extended periods and none exploded......
hell I might hit 105 just getting on the freeway....not worried in the slightest. I keep it maintained. I had it at 105 yesterday as a matter of fact

is it a good idea to consider a better drive line>? of course it is.
So, it's somewhat believable to only happen at a certain speed threshold, if it's the "stuffing" in the driveshaft coming loose due to inertia. And our trucks are factory limited to just shy of 100 mph, but I always assumed this was due to tire rating.

My tires are rated for 149 mph, so I'm good there.

Now, somewhat related, I DO have a weird shake I've been chasing down. I've replaced everything rotational EXCEPT the driveshaft, and now learning that they have this weird "filling" in them, I'm wondering if that isn't the issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it's somewhat believable to only happen at a certain speed threshold, if it's the "stuffing" in the driveshaft coming loose due to inertia. And our trucks are factory limited to just shy of 100 mph, but I always assumed this was due to tire rating.

My tires are rated for 149 mph, so I'm good there.

Now, somewhat related, I DO have a weird shake I've been chasing down. I've replaced everything rotational EXCEPT the driveshaft, and now learning that they have this weird "filling" in them, I'm wondering if that isn't the issue.
could be out of balance, could be the tires, u-joints, bent wheel, ring-n-pinion.
most drive line shops can do a rebalance for a reasonable cost they can open them up and replace any disc's inside (i believe that's what they are called)

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
could be out of balance, could be the tires, u-joints, bent wheel, ring-n-pinion.
most drive line shops can do a rebalance for a reasonable cost they can open them up and replace any disc's inside (i believe that's what they are called)
I've replaced wheels and tires twice now, so I know that's not the case lol.

The U-joints look like they've been replaced on my driveshaft, as they aren't the goofy melted plastic type. Honestly though, I have no clue on that, just what I've read.

I'll have to find a local shop to try to get it balanced!

Thanks dude!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive shafts have a very distinct vibrating. hard to explain but once you feel it, you can't unfeel it in everything you drive for the rest of your life haha.

it's speed depend, but not linear, it go thru areas where it almost goes away as you hit a specific speed it resonates at. load will effect it most of the time, like you'll usually feel it more when not under accel and decel.

it's very fast vibration if that makes sense, much higher frequency than say a tire balance.

good luck. it's my pet peeve in cars lol. the auto in our trucks hides a lot of it, a old school manual with a shifter bolted to it rules out a lot of things.

edit, if your u joints have been replaced. it's almost always going to vibrate after. save yourself the hassle, see if you can find a untouched used oem that still has decent joints, or I hear the Dorman is passable but probably bug me haha.

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
drive shafts have a very distinct vibrating. hard to explain but once you feel it, you can't unfeel it in everything you drive for the rest of your life haha.

it's speed depend, but not linear, it go thru areas where it almost goes away as you hit a specific speed it resonates at. load will effect it most of the time, like you'll usually feel it more when not under accel and decel.

it's very fast vibration if that makes sense, much higher frequency than say a tire balance.

good luck. it's my pet peeve in cars lol. the auto in our trucks hides a lot of it, a old school manual with a shifter bolted to it rules out a lot of things.

edit, if your u joints have been replaced. it's almost always going to vibrate after. save yourself the hassle, see if you can find a untouched used oem that still has decent joints, or I hear the Dorman is passable but probably bug me haha.
DUDE!!!!!!! YES! That's EXACTLY what it feels like!!!!!!! Fork me dead. Guess I know what to look for now. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n