Driver Speaker Quit-Where to Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're like Beetlejuice eh? Just lurking until someone says your name. LOL! So if you're on this forum I can get your expert advice here! Is the other forum worth investing?
GMTNation is really good for the GMT360 line.. There is a lot of knowledge there for Tech2/TIS2000, and a HUGE amount of knowledge regarding the Atlas GM 4.2. But once you get outside of the GMT360 series, the knowledge falls off.

You having the GMT FS, if you dont need PID, TECH2/TIS2000 assistance, I would likely hand around here. If you need GMT360/Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy/Buick Rainier/Saab 9-7x/Oldsmobile Bravada/Isuzu Ascender help, than that site is the cat meow!

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My d/s speaker too a crap too. But I like the silence. Those damn chimes drive me up a wall.
well, I find our trucks totally relaxed. When I compare that to current cars. There's always something "binging". I recently drove a long distance with a colleague into a new BMW. There was always a quiet bing. I thought it would notify about emails or other messages, until I asked him what that was. He told me that's when the car senses he's getting too close to the lane marking in his lane.

I don't want that shit...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I find our trucks totally relaxed. When I compare that to current cars. There's always something "binging". I recently drove a long distance with a colleague into a new BMW. There was always a quiet bing. I thought it would notify about emails or other messages, until I asked him what that was. He told me that's when the car senses he's getting too close to the lane marking in his lane.

I don't want that shit...

Being I am close to 350K, I am constantly working on this rig. So when I open the door to turn the key on during a repair dinging is certainly not missed.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at that tweeter and see if there is a capacitor attached to the back of it, as it looks like it does from your photo. if that is correct, then you can wire the tweeter in parallel with your new speaker and you won't place an overbearing load on that channel, and take advantage of the tweeter's installation.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at that tweeter and see if there is a capacitor attached to the back of it, as it looks like it does from your photo. if that is correct, then you can wire the tweeter in parallel with your new speaker and you won't place an overbearing load on that channel, and take advantage of the tweeter's installation.
Ooh, I like it! Yes it does have a capacitor. I'll hook them up when the speakers come in. I can wire everything up without hanging the panels in case they don't work out. I'd just like to know why the factory didn't hook them if they're there in the first place. Not like they have a habit of throwing money away.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh, I like it! Yes it does have a capacitor. I'll hook them up when the speakers come in. I can wire everything up without hanging the panels in case they don't work out. I'd just like to know why the factory didn't hook them if they're there in the first place. Not like they have a habit of throwing money away.
Great! When you hook them up, try to find the 'positive' speaker wire going to the main speaker, and when wiring in the tweeter, connect the positive wire to the tweeter wire that goes first into the capacitor. Sometimes, there is a paint dot on the main speaker's wire terminals that represent the positive pole to which the positive wire is attached. Other times, there are two different size connectors going onto the speaker terminals, and the larger connector is generally the positive terminal/connector.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed the female plug on the tweeter was the same as the one on the main speaker. Just to experiment, I plugged the speaker wire into the tweeter plug. And got nothing. Just think that should have driven it. Any thoughts?

Edit: I didn't think to crank up the treble and volume! There's sound coming out. Just not much. I can crank the volume all the way and it sounds like it's far away. And high pitched. I know that's a tweeter, right? I also can't see any positive or negative differences on the speakers or the wiring. The wiring has a brown and a gray wire. Anyone have a wiring diagram?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I did my girl's speakers in her TB, I could narrow down the left and right and the front and back adjustments and I could hear a very faint high pitch tinny sound from the effected speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia