Driver Speaker Quit-Where to Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I get older I find myself questioning everything I've ever learned. And I think I've also forgotten more than the average guy has learned. (LOL)

But as the title says, the door speaker quit. Now I've always been taught to start at the problem and work your way back to the source. So, I'm tempted to pull the door apart and look there first but I'm going back and forth in my head thinking it's sure easier to pull the dash panel and radio to check there first. But, the door takes all the abuse....
So, you see where I'm at. I'm just looking for a push in the right direction I guess. And it's supposed to be in the 100's this week...

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you still have the warning "ding ding" noises, like leaving key in ignition and opening door, then the speaker is good and problem likely at radio. If no ding noise, check umbilical cord tubing at the door jam for wire damage problem. If wires good, remove door panel and check connection that can loosen up from door slamming. If all good, remove the right speaker and plug in at driver's door and if ok, you have a bad speaker.

If you can't figure it out, move out of Ca. because nothing works there.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had once a teacher which always said: I have more forgotten, than you will ever learn. :Big Laugh:

I'm not sure what Radio you have and what is the connector situation at the radio. I would try to exchange right speaker with left speaker on the radio, or at the output of the amplifier, if you have the Bose system.. If you then have sound out of the left speaker and no sound of the right speaker you know the output of the radio/amplifier is the problem. If you still have only the right speaker, you know that the left speaker, or the cable is the problem.

Alternative, if you can measure with a multimeter is, to open the door to access the speaker and get access to the radio/amplifier. Then measure the lines between the output of the radio/amplifier too the speaker.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have the warning "ding ding" noises, like leaving key in ignition and opening door, then the speaker is good and problem likely at radio. If no ding noise, check umbilical cord tubing at the door jam for wire damage problem. If wires good, remove door panel and check connection that can loosen up from door slamming. If all good, remove the right speaker and plug in at driver's door and if ok, you have a bad speaker.

If you can't figure it out, move out of Ca. because nothing works there.
See, I knew someone would come up with something simple. I got no dinging or door open indicator or anything like that. Thanks! I'll be going to the door first then since the cord looks good. And you're right, CA sucks! We're trying to get out of here. Maybe come to God's Country!

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had once a teacher which always said: I have more forgotten, than you will ever learn. :Big Laugh:

I'm not sure what Radio you have and what is the connector situation at the radio. I would try to exchange right speaker with left speaker on the radio, or at the output of the amplifier, if you have the Bose system.. If you then have sound out of the left speaker and no sound of the right speaker you know the output of the radio/amplifier is the problem. If you still have only the right speaker, you know that the left speaker, or the cable is the problem.

Alternative, if you can measure with a multimeter is, to open the door to access the speaker and get access to the radio/amplifier. Then measure the lines between the output of the radio/amplifier too the speaker.
It's the factory low level CD/Cassette/ AM/FM. And what's really funny is I just made comment that it still worked while my newer Ram's died. Teach me for talkin chit!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's the factory low level CD/Cassette/ AM/FM. And what's really funny is I just made comment that it still worked while my newer Ram's died. Teach me for talkin chit!
You brought the bad karma on to yourself. When oh when will people learn?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the door panel and couldn't find any loose connections. Is there a fuse for that? What does the "dinger" have to do with everything? The wire umbilical seems okay too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I pulled the door panel and couldn't find any loose connections. Is there a fuse for that? What does the "dinger" have to do with everything? The wire umbilical seems okay too.
The dinger plays thru the driver's door speaker. If you don't hear the dinger when you should, the problem is likely the speaker or wiring/connection for it.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dinger plays thru the driver's door speaker. If you don't hear the dinger when you should, the problem is likely the speaker or wiring/connection for it.
Oh okay. I didn't know that. Looks like I'll pull the P side door panel in the morning and try that speaker over there. I've only got a small amount of time in the shade here. It's like the planet Crematoria from the Riddick movie in the sun. What about the Door Ajar symbol? What drives that, and does it only come on when in gear?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh okay. I didn't know that. Looks like I'll pull the P side door panel in the morning and try that speaker over there. I've only got a small amount of time in the shade here. It's like the planet Crematoria from the Riddick movie in the sun. What about the Door Ajar symbol? What drives that, and does it only come on when in gear?
Not sure about the symbol, since I never renamed my door as "a jar". Any warning sounds are heard thru your driver's door speaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10