Driver seat loose??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajmalian

Reaction score
So this is with regards to the driver seat in my ‘21 Yukon Denali. Now I am unfortunately a hefty 300lb guy. For some odd reason only during breaking or taking turns I feel like my driver’s seat nudges/clicks/shimmies forward or to the side my weight shifts during turns. The truck barely has 500 miles on it. Is it normal because I’m heavy and I should accept this or should I register this with my dealer. I don’t have this issue with any of my other cars and neither have I had this issue in any of my previous GM trucks.
It is a little annoying and it won’t make me feel any better if the dealer tells me “lose weight” or the typical answer of “we couldn’t find anything”. I’ve tried pushing the seat around while I’m off it to see if any mounts were lose, but nothing, so I’m certain it’s because of my mass on the seat. What do you guys think?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
So this is with regards to the driver seat in my ‘21 Yukon Denali. Now I am unfortunately a hefty 300lb guy. For some odd reason only during breaking or taking turns I feel like my driver’s seat nudges/clicks/shimmies forward or to the side my weight shifts during turns. The truck barely has 500 miles on it. Is it normal because I’m heavy and I should accept this or should I register this with my dealer. I don’t have this issue with any of my other cars and neither have I had this issue in any of my previous GM trucks.
It is a little annoying and it won’t make me feel any better if the dealer tells me “lose weight” or the typical answer of “we couldn’t find anything”. I’ve tried pushing the seat around while I’m off it to see if any mounts were lose, but nothing, so I’m certain it’s because of my mass on the seat. What do you guys think?

Do you think it might be the seat padding is too soft perhaps? Did you sit in the back and push on the seat to see if it slides at all? I’d reckon if you can’t find any loose bolts or if it doesn’t slide by pushing on it then it must be too soft of seat padding. Maybe talk with an automotive upholsterer and see the cost of replacing the pad with a firmer one. If the price is right mind as well try that.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion...

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you dare apologize for your weight. Ever!

Your seat should be able to hold up to you, I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. If anything is loose, they will tighten it up.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't you dare apologize for your weight. Ever!

Your seat should be able to hold up to you, I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. If anything is loose, they will tighten it up.

^^THIS. And if they give you any trouble have them show you the "weight limit" spec on the seat. If there IS one, and it's less than your weight, then ask they why they sold it to you like that.

OP
OP
A

Ajmalian

Reaction score
@Jason in DLH , thanks very much buddy for your advice. I’ll try and isolate the problem with the padding, however I don’t think thats the issue as I am certain I feel the seat move that additional centimeter (if that) and I know I hear a solid (rather than a soft) thud sound whenever it moves.

@JasonHTX, I appreciate the support and advice. I just needed reassurance as to if this was something others MAYBE experiencing and if it is something in my right to go and have it addressed.

@Fless, buddy where I am from (Dubai, UAE), while the country is amazing, the after sales support and service from most car dealerships is far far from what one would desire. I’ve owned something like 11 GMC’s and 3 Chevy’s in the last 15 years and there’s only 2 dealerships (with many branches) in the country for these 2 brands. If I ask to solve a problem which is a little above normal...they most likely will get back to me saying “this is what the product is like”...take it up with GM if you will. If I escalate the matter with GM’s local regional office, GM Arabia, it will be at least an 8 week matter before a possible solution is provided. There’s been so many instances where the dealership nor GM arabia could solve my issues...thank god for such forums and people like yourselves that helped me solve the problems.

In any case, I appreciate all your feedbacks guys. Thank you very much.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
@Jason in DLH , thanks very much buddy for your advice. I’ll try and isolate the problem with the padding, however I don’t think thats the issue as I am certain I feel the seat move that additional centimeter (if that) and I know I hear a solid (rather than a soft) thud sound whenever it moves.

@JasonHTX, I appreciate the support and advice. I just needed reassurance as to if this was something others MAYBE experiencing and if it is something in my right to go and have it addressed.

@Fless, buddy where I am from (Dubai, UAE), while the country is amazing, the after sales support and service from most car dealerships is far far from what one would desire. I’ve owned something like 11 GMC’s and 3 Chevy’s in the last 15 years and there’s only 2 dealerships (with many branches) in the country for these 2 brands. If I ask to solve a problem which is a little above normal...they most likely will get back to me saying “this is what the product is like”...take it up with GM if you will. If I escalate the matter with GM’s local regional office, GM Arabia, it will be at least an 8 week matter before a possible solution is provided. There’s been so many instances where the dealership nor GM arabia could solve my issues...thank god for such forums and people like yourselves that helped me solve the problems.

In any case, I appreciate all your feedbacks guys. Thank you very much.

I just did a quick online search and a bunch of folks from various manufacturers have the same issue, so you’re definitely not alone.

One solution that came up was to adjust the seat back and forth fully multiple times.

Here’s another solution:

upload_2021-3-11_23-41-38.png

OP
OP
A

Ajmalian

Reaction score
@Jason in DLH, so I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately it didn’t work...however what I did find is that higher you raise the front part of the seat, the problem is more pronounced and more audible. I don’t even have to drive and I can replicate the problem. So this is good because I can show it to the dealership without any excuses.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is related, but there is a recall for the "attachment bolts for the front seats may not have been properly reinstalled". Might want to look into that, as that is a safety issue.

Reaction score
I'm in a '16 Escalade and have the same issue. I also weigh 180 so I don't think it's a weight issue. I don't feel like it's not locked in or off tracks or anything like that, it's just an annoying little click I can feel when taking a fairly sharp turn. Thought at first something was rolling around under my seat, but nothing there. Then thought maybe a loos bolt, or off track or something, no dice. Have adjusted the seat multiple times and problem persists. I just chalked it up to a weird little gremlin, but in to see if anyone has a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic