Driver Bottom Leather Seat Cover and Pad Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
Gotta post progress pics.

You need to flip the seat on its sides and back to easily remove and replace the clips holding the seat cover and pad to the frame. Use care to not attempt to remove the pad before disconnecting the seat heater element . Note the routing of the harness around the back of the frame for your replacement. This is what it looks like off the frame. You need to carefully peel the element off the old foam and replace it to the new foam. I used a small amount of 3 M spray adhesive to secure it flush in place

IMG_2662.jpgIMG_2672.jpg

Once you have the element on the new foam you install the cover to the foam. Turn the cover completely inside out and upside down and use your fingers to push in the plastic clips at the center of the cover to the seat foam . There are 2 of them. Then side by side 4 per side from front to rear. Take care to Fit the sides at the front and rear tightly, so there are no visible wrinkles.

IMG_2646.jpg

You are now ready to reinstall the seat pad and cover to the frame. You need to feed the rear attachments for the cover through the bite line of the frame along with the heater element harness. Use a second set of hands to push the seat pad tight as possible into the bite line. Reconnect the heater element harness, Replace the rear clips of the seat cover to the frame. Flip the seat on its side to do the side clips and lay it back to clip the front clip which is a PITA as its a rubber clip about 10 inches long that hast to tightly wrap 180 around the frame before you can push it on.

Replace the seat to the truck, reattach harnesses, seat bolts seat belt fastener and al the plastic trim.

IMG_2679.jpg IMG_2677.jpg

The result looks beautiful, and feels like new truck seating. So Much more firm and supportive. A huge improvement. Total cost $237 Took about 1 1/2 hours start to finish.

Californian

Reaction score
I used the same cushion and it was a great upgrade from the stock one. It's just to bad they don't make the cushion for the passenger side yet. Been there on the food crumbs. I did this on a used car I just bought and you wouldn't believe what I found once the seat was removed. Nice work.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left my seat in when I replaced my driver's side foam cushion. Mine is different than yours though, as I have the blower style not the heating element style seat.

How is the leather from the seat shop? I am thinking of replacing the drivers bottom leather but on the fence to who I want to buy from.

IMG_20190316_124412956.jpg IMG_20190316_124336560.jpg IMG_20190316_132907384_HDR.jpg IMG_20190316_135218075_HDR.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info and pics on this thread thanks so much.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greet pics and info in this thread thanks so much.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled with the new cover and cushion. Install was a bit of a hassle I thought. But then my 04 may be a bit different. After 3 years, there is a small rip in the leather starting on the side. Truck gets very little use. But the new cushion is holding up nicely.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was thrilled with the new cover and cushion. Install was a bit of a hassle I thought. But then my 04 may be a bit different. After 3 years, there is a small rip in the leather starting on the side. Truck gets very little use. But the new cushion is holding up nicely.
The sides are most likely vinyl, not leather.

Denali12

Reaction score
Does anyone know the proper placement for the A/C vent into the foam in the front? I followed much of the info on this thread, but I misaligned something with the ventilated seats. No cool air coming up my crack..

The guts of the foam seem to have some kind of a plastic liner that may act as ductwork. I absolutely ripped a small amount of this off during disassembly.

Thanks in advance for any info provided. I've searched everywhere & can't seem to find any relevant info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts