Dreaded Rust..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was washing the White 2004 Denali today and noticed rust behind the back passenger side step

Is there a way to remove the plastic and do a diy repair?0CDC54E9-F987-4567-AFF8-B10A64C30516.jpeg 1315B71D-927D-4FF0-B101-04F93B9FFC83.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fender flares are held on by a mix of push clips in the fender and molding tape
Thanks what about the side step? What is the best way to repair the rusted metal under the flare and step. I just want to slow the rusting process

TysonTrost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks what about the side step? What is the best way to repair the rusted metal under the flare and step. I just want to slow the rusting process

I took of my side steps and am IMG_4874[1].JPG
preparing to use fiberglass mating and Bondo to do the whole quarter panel. if you don't want any repair i guess put a silicone rust preventer on. It really only took 2 years for this rust to grow like cancer

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Rust is called cancer for a reason. Even if u cut it out and weld a new piece in and paint in acouple years the rust will be back. That’s why no one will ever warranty rust work.

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don’t understand he cancer thing. How can it come back if it is completely cut out? If that’s the case is it even worth it to try to fix it?

If I cut the damage out and weld or bondo will it at least slow the progression? Is there any paint rust converter or process that slows it down?
Is there a difference between surface rust, rust and cancer rust?
Is here a web site that explains the science behind this? I would love to understand.

I want to fix it but slowing it down will help.

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
removed the side step. Rockers are good surprisingly. Getting ready to grind and repair the front of rear quarter panel. Suggestions on how to do this easily? Most everything is covered with Denali trim. Planned to grind out and bondo/fiberglass

CF9FDC63-D8FC-416A-B9C6-3C439AD3C16E.jpeg 9186BC4C-637E-4451-985C-9E3CA8C449E4.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I purchase a font lower quarter panel, cut it down and panel bond or weld? May be able to put the seam behind the Denali trim. Has anyone done this?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I purchase a font lower quarter panel, cut it down and panel bond or weld? May be able to put the seam behind the Denali trim. Has anyone done this?

It all depends on how deep you want to go.

The Denali trim is not helping as crap and moisture gets in behind it and can sit and start to attack the metal.

Also, many times the rust you are seeing started on the back side of the panel and is finally poking its ugly head through on the front side so sanding and covering the visible side is simply a temporary band-aid.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I lived in KC, Mo for over 35 years and dealt with rust all the time at my shops. Hated that "cancer". Moved to Oregon 23 years ago and they do not use salt on the roads here. Rust problem is gone. So, decide on which is cheaper, moving or fixing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts