Draining Gas Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the method(s) to drain the gas tank on 2008 Tahoe?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the method(s) to drain the gas tank on 2008 Tahoe?

Drill a hole in the bottom of the tank

Drive until it's empty

"Jump the relay" with the feed hose routed to a container (connect a battery charger!)

Pop the filler hose off the back to slip a hose down inside it and use a transfer pump (manual or powered)

Pop the filler hose off the back to slip a hose down inside it, stuff rags to seal around where the hose goes in and apply pressurized air to one of the the EVAP hoses to force the fuel out.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skipping to #3; I presume the relay is in the fuse box under the hood. Remove and jump which particular pins? (with wire?)
Use a fuel line under the hood?

Skipping to #4. Is the filler hose removal reliably resealable without buying something?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha.. posted in wrong thread.

who does that lol

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skipping to #3; I presume the relay is in the fuse box under the hood. Remove and jump which particular pins? (with wire?)
Use a fuel line under the hood?

I put that in quotes because you probably don't have a relay in the fuse box. If it's like mine, you have a FPCM, which is like a separate computer for the fuel pump. In the previous generations, there was a factory circuit in the harness under the hood, under the brake booster. It looked like an unused accessory or sensor plug. You shorted the terminals to run the fuel pump. I don't think the GMT900 has this, but I'm not sure.

Skipping to #4. Is the filler hose removal reliably resealable without buying something?

Sure. It's just like a radiator hose and how it slips over a large plastic inlet or outlet. Loosen the hose clamp and use a large flat head screwdriver against the tank to pry the hose back/up off the spout. Work around the perimeter to break it loose cuz it'll be stuck from years of being clamped tightly to it. Once it's "cracked" free, you can twist and pull it off or keep prying it with the screwdriver, alternating sides.

blondie70

Reaction score
Hey Eddie...if you gonna be welding that bracket on...remember that an empty tank is more dangerous than a full one. Don't blow up !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia