Downside to installing the Corvette Servo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Upsides/Downsides to installing the Corvette Servo

Hey guys,

Quick question: Is there any at ALL downsides to installing the Corvette Servo in my 04 Tahoe LT?

I know they can be purchased for under $20.

My step-dad who can install anything in cars said he can install one in less than 30 minutes, but doesn't understand why I would install a sports car Servo in a 4X4 SUV.

My reasoning is that it shifts from 1-2 better and I read online it actually makes the transmission not "slip", so it actually is better than stock for the Hoe.

His reasoning for not wanting to do it is: "GM pays allot of money to engineers to design/pick the best parts for their cars, and if the Corvette servo works better than what is in there, then they would of put it in there" and also added, "If you can show me it overall is better for the car I'll help you out and install it"

Soo, this is where you guys can help out haha:
List some positive reasons to install the Vette Servo and Please list any negatives too

Thanks in advance :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

**Reserved** (goin to add all info from forum here about servo for easy access)
So this will be updated: :)

]Servo Guide 101:

Where to order?: $15.99
http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=NTP-K51828C

How to install?:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98029&highlight=servo

Can I do it myself?
Can you work a screwdriver and a C-Clamp? If so, then yes. If you can change your oil or brakes, you can do this.

What tools will I need?
A few flathead screwdrivers (small and medium), a prybar, a drip pan, C-clamp, 10mm socket and ratchet, and a few rags.

Positive +:
-Helps firm up the shift points, for firmer shifts
-The 'Vette servo will only firm up the 1-2 shift.

Negative -:
-

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's simple. While your stepdad is correct in that GM does a pretty damn good job overall in engineering their stuff, you have to remember that they make an awful lot of compromises in that process. To more specifically answer his question of "if it's so great why doesn't GM engineer it that way", thnk about this:

They engineer a certain degree of slippage into the 4L60E to keep things nice and smooth for the everyday joe who drives it around. They have to make it powerful enough to do what it needs to do while maintaining a certain level of comfort during every day driving. When you install a Corvette servo, you're eliminating some of that slippage, and hence some of the associated comfort. While it's actually BETTER for the transmission, you're making the truck shift harder - and not everyone likes harder shifting. GM has to make compromises like this to appeal to the widest range of customers possible. I'm running a corvette servo PLUS an extremely agressive high octane tune from BBP, and my truck shifts like Danica Patrick on the rag - with almost 107K on the clock, mind you - and my transmission is in EXCELLENT shape thus far.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
It's simple. While your stepdad is correct in that GM does a pretty damn good job overall in engineering their stuff, you have to remember that they make an awful lot of compromises in that process. To more specifically answer his question of "if it's so great why doesn't GM engineer it that way", thnk about this:

They engineer a certain degree of slippage into the 4L60E to keep things nice and smooth for the everyday joe who drives it around. They have to make it powerful enough to do what it needs to do while maintaining a certain level of comfort during every day driving. When you install a Corvette servo, you're eliminating some of that slippage, and hence some of the associated comfort. While it's actually BETTER for the transmission, you're making the truck shift harder - and not everyone likes harder shifting. GM has to make compromises like this to appeal to the widest range of customers possible. I'm running a corvette servo PLUS an extremely agressive high octane tune from BBP, and my truck shifts like Danica Patrick on the rag - with almost 107K on the clock, mind you - and my transmission is in EXCELLENT shape thus far.

Thanks, excellent post :party33:

I am just making sure though, No negatives to installing the 'vette servo? Well besides harder shifting and decreased comfort which some could view as an negative.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I guess those would be the only "negatives", but those points are subjective. ;)

There are no known reliability or longevity problems associated with installing a corvette servo, to the best of my knowledge. I've been around several of these forums long enough now...I think I would have seen SOMETHING if a transmission grenaded simply because of the servo - it just ain't gonna happen. It's a good modification.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Tell ur pops to pipe down, crawl under your truck and install the thing yourself. It is really easy, it would take you an hour tops.........

heftylefty58

Reaction score
Interestingly, the ***** at my local AAMCO didn't even want to give me a freakin QUOTE for installing the vette servo I purchased from Oregon Performance.

I tried to enlighten and inform him that many of us do this modification to our 4L60E transmissions. Regardless, he insisted that the resulting shifts would be too hard, and emphasized it with a **** pounding of his fist into his hand. Shmuck.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the ***** at my local AAMCO didn't even want to give me a freakin QUOTE for installing the vette servo I purchased from Oregon Performance.

I tried to enlighten and inform him that many of us do this modification to our 4L60E transmissions. Regardless, he insisted that the resulting shifts would be too hard, and emphasized it with a **** pounding of his fist into his hand. Shmuck.

this is why you find a tranny shop, not at Autozone type tranny shop. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j