Anyway to retain factory chimes after installing aftermarket head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exzelz

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket radio in my Tahoe using a PAC wiring harness. Now my chimes and turn signals sound different and I want them to sound like factory again.

Is there any way to change the chime sound/not use the new one or do I just have to deal with it?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the radio created the chimes..
I am guessing your harness included a chime module?

Unless there's another better sounding chime module, I'm guessing you'll have to put up with it...

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s really good info about the PAC module changing the sound of the chimes. I’d reach out to pac to see what they might be able to come up with. How are they different? Do they sound cheesy like a 1980’s Coleeco hand held football game?

E056E42C-C9B4-4CE6-A92D-30858DBCF90C.gif

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here and asked the professional installer at the time. The OEM radio was responsible for the chimes, so the replacement harness includes a chime module.

Mine sounds slightly different (fine) but is much louder (annoying). But I was told theres very little choice.

I have to say after about 8 months ive grown used to the new reality!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here and asked the professional installer at the time. The OEM radio was responsible for the chimes, so the replacement harness includes a chime module.

Mine sounds slightly different (fine) but is much louder (annoying). But I was told theres very little choice.

I have to say after about 8 months ive grown used to the new reality!
it might depend on the year but there should be a chime sound level adjustment in the DIC, if that doesn't work some carefully placed tape over the chime speaker can be used to reduce the sound to more acceptable levels, like 50% coverage of the speaker for instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts