Downside Of Suspension Lifts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess "reduced" travel should be re-worded. All top mounted strut (not shock) spacer kits limit up-travel because the shock assembly bottoms out. Conversely, the top mounted spacer can over extend down-travel which is ******* CV joints that is why it is recommended not to go with spacers over 2.5". Keep in mind this is for the front IFS. For the rear it does not matter where the spacer goes (as long as it is seated correctly and will not fall out of the perch during full extension).

If this is a concern for you, then a full lift kit or at least proper coil over is required to address this. BTW I have not seen a thread yet where a strut spacer or cranked torsion bar (keys for NBS) in Tahoes/Yukons, has directly affected CV joints. Not saying it will never happen; but I am sure most of these SUVs are not off-road as frequent or hard as small rigs . IMO if I was seriously off-roading a lot and fully flexing the suspension while under load, I would do a proper lift.

Last edited:

White07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, CCM is a 2.5 spacer on the top of the strut. Like Zed said, travel is not really reduced, it just bottoms out sooner bc the control arms are lower bc of the lift.

OP
OP
M

MiamiDave

Reaction score
so from the looks of it...the CCM kit is only a spacer that goes on top shock mount? my Truxxx kit had spacer on top and the bottom so I dont really see how any suspension travel would be reduced...

So is the truxx kit better b/c it splits the difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo