double post from electonics regarding system voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeryuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to double post this but wanted make sure I got it in the correct section.

We bought a 2005 Yukon XL about 2 months ago. We are on a road trip now and I am concerned about the system voltage level. It is running around 12.8 going down the interstate . It does go up to to 14.4 when I turn the heated seats on. Does this system run on demand? Normally I am used to a vehicle running always at 14+ when the engine is on. Just want to check cause we are 400 miles from home and I got my wife and 4 month old son along. Was wondering if I need to find a partaking store and put a alternator or regulator in.

Thanks.

BubZX

Reaction score
find an advance auto parts or autozone around where u are and have them test the charging system for u. 14 volts is what ur lookin for anything under 12 and u have a problem.

OP
OP
D

dodgeryuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I ended up finding an Oriely's and got the system tested. It tested fine he said. As far as the voltage changing while driving, he did think that it might be some type of economy control, only pulling from the altenator when necessary. Never had a vehicle like that before. Glad we made it back with no trouble.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How accurate is the voltage meter in the dash? I was just curious for my own reasons. I never thought they were very accurate but I'm just going off assumption.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to double post this but wanted make sure I got it in the correct section.

It is running around 12.8 going down the interstate . It does go up to to 14.4 when I turn the heated seats on. Does this system run on demand?

I have owned my Denali for over a year now and it does the exact same thing. It used to drive me nuts, but I've never had an issue and like you, assumed it was regulating it's output based on usage, or that the gauge was a typical GM POS gauges (these trucks are notorious for bad gauges). Have a safe trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076