Door issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfdtruckie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
95' Tahoe makes a loud rubbing sound from the driver's side door. There are no obvious dents and now I have to pull/close the door fairly hard to get it to stop the door ajar alarm. Is it something with the hinges? Thanks for the help

qlc1964

qlc1964
Reaction score
yes you have worn hinges &the pin also check the door stricker

thats the big bolt.

OP
OP
D

dfdtruckie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So do I just replace that bolt? Are there bushings that I could install to avoid this later? Thanks for the help

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most often the problem can be cured by replacing the bronze bushings. I used an engine hoist to hold the weight of the door, while I changed mine.:)

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA makes a repair kit for the hinges- 1 kit per hinge---2 hinges per door=2kits
each kit comes with 1 pin and 2 brass bushings

OP
OP
D

dfdtruckie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. Just picked up a 95' 2dr and trying to get it up to *****

OP
OP
D

dfdtruckie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most often the problem can be cured by replacing the bronze bushings. I used an engine hoist to hold the weight of the door, while I changed mine.:)

I was looking at the door. The lower pin looks straight forward but the upper one looks like I need to compress the spring or something. Is that true?

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the door. The lower pin looks straight forward but the upper one looks like I need to compress the spring or something. Is that true?

I used tyraps to hold the compressed spring, then cut the tyraps after it was back in place.

There may be a tool for dealing with that spring, I don't know.

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa has the door check spring tool as well. but they might have to order it for the next day. like $15

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
I just replaced my Door bushings/pins this weekened.

used a floor jack and a block of wood to help hold the door up.

Long screw driver and long 3/8 extension helped to pound out and reinstall the pins.

I borrowed a spring tool to compress the spring for reinstall.

Not too bad a job.

Door doesnt sag now, but i think my latch / striker is wore ouit from all the door shutting with worn bushings over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas