Door hard to close after new aftermarket weatherstrips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearz

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ. My drivers door weatherstrip that goes around the body was replaced by me with a aftermarket weatherstrip but the new one does not have the holes like the OEM to let the air escape. Does anyone know how I can make new holes on a D shaped weatherstrip without damaging it ? GM Part Number: 22766409 # 3 in the pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-07 161959.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-07 161959.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 7

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What’s the back story on why the weather strip had to be replaced and who did it for you?

Keep in mind the aftermarket door seal is a different design, so it may operate in a different manner without the need for the vent holes like the past one.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Besides the obvious hole fix, like @Doubeleive so rightfully suggested, a new seal is always going to be stiffer than the old used one. Did you know that the aftermarket seal was not gonna have holes in it? Was there a Genuine GM available and you chose the less expensive? Or not available and you settled for the aftermarket one? Drill those holes and be done with it. Before you ask what size hole to drill, I would guess that you start out with a 1/16" bit and go up to 1/8" bit if needed.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every aftermarket weatherstripping I've installed did the same thing. The stuff is either just cheaper rubber material or different design. Usually after time it will conform to the vehicle and work better. Hardly ever does it work as good as factory new though. Give it time.

OP
OP
Gearz

Gearz

Reaction score
I’m going to try this by hand and use a 3 mm and see what happens, there supposed to be very shatp. I installed them myself. I was a GM master tech for years dut didn’t want to spend $400 on new door seals. I did text the seller and who knows they might send me another set. ‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_0259.png
    IMG_0259.png
    707.9 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork