Door decor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post says it, I'm not sure what there really called.but I know they just have sticky tape holding them on. its an 04 so they have been on there a long thine. How might I pry them off without damaging paInt and door?
Any help would be great.
What are the chances of the paint matching, it s the sand driftwood color
Hans
Ps happy 4th of July

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do u mean the door moldings? If it is many people have used fishing line and a heat gun. Just heat it up a little and with the fishing line work your way from one side of the molding to the other. It will leave sticky residue. Many have used a flywheel and goo-gone. It will match your paint so dont worry about it.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah just use a heat gun or even a hair dryer. Put your truck out in the sun and do it late in the afternoon. I cant remember but I dont think I had luck with the fishing string. Mine kept breaking but I think it was old stuff. So go get a new spool of the strongest line walmart has and you should be good.

The color should be fine as long as no one did a horrible paint job over it lol.

Also get some goo gone gel. You will need that and some elbow grease to get all the residue off. Also once you wash it a few time you may notice an outline of where the decal thing used to be. Get some scratch out stuff and buff it out. Then clean it again and wax the truck! It looks great when its done!

fireman297

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the heat gun and pulled off the molding. Then I used some 3M adhesive remover 08984 to take the residue off. Then I used my Griots clay bar on the whole door. Lastly I used a step 1 cut wax and Tech Wax with my orbital. The doors came out flawless and you couldn't even tell that they had molding. Also, make sure that the areas that you are going to be working are freshly washed. Hope this helps.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the heat gun and pulled off the molding. Then I used some 3M adhesive remover 08984 to take the residue off. Then I used my Griots clay bar on the whole door. Lastly I used a step 1 cut wax and Tech Wax with my orbital. The doors came out flawless and you couldn't even tell that they had molding. Also, make sure that the areas that you are going to be working are freshly washed. Hope this helps.

Great way to do it also! I need to get an orbital one of these days.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks a lot.can't wait to get this tahoe looking better, think I might pull off the rear chevy and tahoe too. Roof rack is next also. Not sure about the running board s. The seats seam tho be beat up already. And its not lifted. With these side airbags, you can't really run seat covers can you?
Thanks again. Sorry I just didn't do a search on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160