Door trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to this forum so this may have already been discussed. I have an 02 Yukon that I bought new and is in mint condition. However the exterior rubber/plastic door trim molding is in terrible shape. It’s coming loose and is cracked and turning yellow with age. I've seen videos on removing the trim molding but I was wondering what to expect after removal would be the condition of the paint and its appearance. Is there clear coat on the paint underneath the molding ? I see Tahoes and Yukons all the time with the door trim molding in terrible shape. Such a bad design if you ask me. Anyhow, just wondering what the paint would look like after removing those trim pieces. Thanks for any input.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The paint condition underneath would depend on the color of the vehicle and the amount of sun it's seen over its life. Once you remove that door trim you'll probably see some shadowing--which would be normal. Some guys just polish or buff it out. This might make it less noticeable.

OP
OP
B

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The paint condition underneath would depend on the color of the vehicle and the amount of sun it's seen over its life. Once you remove that door trim you'll probably see some shadowing--which would be normal. Some guys just polish or buff it out. This might make it less noticeable.
Thanks for the advice. The color is white and has always had wax on it and been kept in the garage. So, maybe it will look okay. I realize it’s 22 years old so it might be fairly noticeable anyway. I’m sure it has dirt, mold, mildew behind the trim molding. Still, it’s a poor design, see it all time on older GM trucks and suv’s where the door trim is coming loose, cracked and discolored.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The color is white and has always had wax on it and been kept in the garage. So, maybe it will look okay. I realize it’s 22 years old so it might be fairly noticeable anyway. I’m sure it has dirt, mold, mildew behind the trim molding. Still, it’s a poor design, see it all time on older GM trucks and suv’s where the door trim is coming loose, cracked and discolored.
Since it's white and its been garaged it shouldn't be very noticeable--only to you, since you know what was there. I'm sure the average person couldn't tell.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another option is to just replace the trim pieces, although they are not exactly cheap probably a couple hundred dollars per side for new oem
seems excessive for painted plastic. white is particually prone to discoloring from age
i replaced them on my 03 when I had it repainted

OP
OP
B

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
another option is to just replace the trim pieces, although they are not exactly cheap probably a couple hundred dollars per side for new oem
seems excessive for painted plastic. white is particually prone to discoloring from age
i replaced them on my 03 when I had it repainted
Yes that seems a little pricy for new trim pieces. I have babied this Yukon and is still pristine. Stills purrs like a kitten, rides like a 747 and is quite as a mouse. Gotta weigh my options. Just bought a new Tacoma and with the holidays, I’ve been hemorrhaging money, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts