doing a z55 refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its 2 brackets? left and right? is it worth saving the 100 and pressing them in myself or would i need a special tool
Yes, 2 brackets on the diff and the L & R are different. Can be done from below the truck with a little finagling and a long extension socket from above. Helps to have 2 people but I did mine on my 2007 solo. The diff mounting brackets are sold as assemblies.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As suggested above, if you plan to keep this truck until the wheels fall off, then you should change the upper and lower control arms on the front suspension while you are doing strut work. At that mileage, the bushings and ball joints have significant wear in them, and the ball joints come with the control arms as an assembly.

A year ago, I changed everything in the front suspension, including shocks, upper and lower control arms, and all of the components that make up the total strut assembly (except the strut housings themselves). In the rear, I changed the shocks and the springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As suggested above, if you plan to keep this truck until the wheels fall off, than you should change the upper and lower control arms on the front suspension while you are doing strut work. At that mileage, the bushings and ball joints have significant wear in them, and the ball joints come with the control arms as an assembly.

A year ago, I changed everything in the front suspension, including shocks, upper and lower control arms, and all of the components that make up the total strut assembly (except the strut housings themselves). In the rear, I changed the shocks and the springs.
I will be changing the control arms just not right now

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The rubber bushings are usually rotted in place as they’re surrounded by metal and pressed into a metal bracket. Since it’s a pressed metal bracket unlike a control arm or tie rod that’s cast, the last guy with an AWD Esky who tried to press them out chewed them up pretty good. He replaced them again in 6 Mo as the bushings deflected and were allowed them to pinch / distort.

Yes, you can save a few bucks only buying the bushings but you be soaking them in kroil or wd40 for a day or two and must use a press or risk damaging the bracket. The bond between the bush and bracket is substantial enough that GM, Dorman & others found a market creating and selling the part with the bushings already inserted.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber bushings are usually rotted in place as they’re surrounded by metal and pressed into a metal bracket. Since it’s a pressed metal bracket unlike a control arm or tie rod that’s cast, the last guy with an AWD Esky who tried to press them out chewed them up pretty good. He replaced them again in 6 Mo as the bushings deflected and were allowed them to pinch / distort.

Yes, you can save a few bucks only buying the bushings but you be soaking them in kroil or wd40 for a day or two and must use a press or risk damaging the bracket. The bond between the bush and bracket is substantial enough that GM, Dorman & others found a market creating and selling the part with the bushings already inserted.
seems like too much work for my set-up at home.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the replacement bushings on a 2009 and it was a PITA and they are junk. Just buy a new GM assembly. Install isn't hard, just a floor jack and a couple hours time.

I also second the GM control arm assemblies. I tried pressing in lower ball joints on my 2007, it worked, but wasn't worth the headache. Since parts prices have become more reasonable for these now, I just do GM assemblies. I also second the new springs for the front, but without a professional, wall mounted, compressor you risk personal harm. Those things have A LOT of pressure on them when compressed. Then you have to wrestle all the pieces back together in the correct orientation.....did it for years, but won't anymore.

@Geotrash
Agrees with the life on the fronts. I sold my 2007 denali with 227k and still had original stuff. No lights, etc. I'd say if they are leaking oil, the ride height is low, or the ride is stiff, then replace them. Although, I will say that my 2017 denali rides like new again after the fronts were covered under warranty at 80k for oil leakage. It's a personal call I guess.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the replacement bushings on a 2009 and it was a PITA and they are junk. Just buy a new GM assembly. Install isn't hard, just a floor jack and a couple hours time.

I also second the GM control arm assemblies. I tried pressing in lower ball joints on my 2007, it worked, but wasn't worth the headache. Since parts prices have become more reasonable for these now, I just do GM assemblies. I also second the new springs for the front, but without a professional, wall mounted, compressor you risk personal harm. Those things have A LOT of pressure on them when compressed. Then you have to wrestle all the pieces back together in the correct orientation.....did it for years, but won't anymore.

@Geotrash
Agrees with the life on the fronts. I sold my 2007 denali with 227k and still had original stuff. No lights, etc. I'd say if they are leaking oil, the ride height is low, or the ride is stiff, then replace them. Although, I will say that my 2017 denali rides like new again after the fronts were covered under warranty at 80k for oil leakage. It's a personal call I guess.
the spring removal was another question that crossed my mind. I'm guessing i should definitely get a spring compressor?

at first I was thinking of just clamping them down on both sides because that was what i used to do on my civic but if you're saying it's under an unusual amount of pressure then I'll rent the compressor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the spring removal was another question that crossed my mind. I'm guessing i should definitely get a spring compressor?

at first I was thinking of just clamping them down on both sides because that was what i used to do on my civic but if you're saying it's under an unusual amount of pressure then I'll rent the compressor.
If you are going to disassemble the struts yourself, make sure that you get the correct HEAVY duty spring compressor, possibly a rental from an auto parts supplier that rents tools. I used a standard (NOT heavy duty) spring compressor to disassemble my Honda's struts, but I would NEVER use that spring compressor to disassemble my truck's struts. Be safe, as it is your life that is at risk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96