doing a z55 refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Yukon Denali 145k

Other than changing the front and rear shocks/struts, what else is recommended I change out also?

I'm not talking about tie-rods, ball joints etc. I'm doing that at a later date...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the compressor runs and is quiet so im leaving it
Are you sure your fronts need doing? I have 229K on what I believe are the originals on my 2007 and 132K on what I know are the originals on my 2012, and they’re still doing great. The rears need it more often because the air bags wear out, but the fronts seem to last forever.

If you do the front, are you replacing the whole strut assembly or just the shock portion?

Definitely check the wheel bearings for play while you’re in there.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your fronts need doing? I have 229K on what I believe are the originals on my 2007 and 132K on what I know are the originals on my 2012, and they’re still doing great. The rears need it more often because the air bags wear out, but the fronts seem to last forever.

If you do the front, are you replacing the whole strut assembly or just the shock portion?

Definitely check the wheel bearings for play while you’re in there.
I'm not sure if the fronts are bad or not but my wife and I decided we're going to keep this till the wheels fall off so doesn't make sense to me to eventually do a full suspension refresh and leave the old fronts. I was able to find some deals and got all 4 corners for $700, all AC Delco.

i was just gonna change the shocks but didn't know if i should also get new springs or insulators or any other rubber pieces that would be a pain to do later on

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the fronts are bad or not but my wife and I decided we're going to keep this till the wheels fall off so doesn't make sense to me to eventually do a full suspension refresh and leave the old fronts. I was able to find some deals and got all 4 corners for $700, all AC Delco.

i was just gonna change the shocks but didn't know if i should also get new springs or insulators or any other rubber pieces that would be a pain to do later on
That's a killer deal. Most guys replace the whole strut assembly because compressing the springs could well be the last thing you ever do if the tool slips off or breaks. Definitely worth putting in new insulators as well. @89Suburban just did the shocks (kept his springs) on his a while back, and I'm sure can help with perspective there.

Are your ball joints or tie rod ends loose at all? If not, and it were my rig, I'd let that front end ride until there are signs that it needs attention. Just my 2c. I changed the control arms with ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and links 4 years ago on my 2007 with Moog parts, and the rubber boots on the ball joints are already cracking and close to tearing. The best money for the front end is in the sway bar bushings and links, in my opinion. Refresh those and it will feel like a brand new truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2011 Yukon Denali 145k

Other than changing the front and rear shocks/struts, what else is recommended I change out also?

I'm not talking about tie-rods, ball joints etc. I'm doing that at a later date...
That's a killer deal. Most guys replace the whole strut assembly because compressing the springs could well be the last thing you ever do if the tool slips off or breaks. Definitely worth putting in new insulators as well. @89Suburban just did the shocks (kept his springs) on his a while back, and I'm sure can help with perspective there.

Are your ball joints or tie rod ends loose at all? If not, and it were my rig, I'd let that front end ride until there are signs that it needs attention. Just my 2c. I changed the control arms with ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and links 4 years ago on my 2007 with Moog parts, and the rubber boots on the ball joints are already cracking and close to tearing. The best money for the front end is in the sway bar bushings and links, in my opinion. Refresh those and it will feel like a brand new truck.

Just went through this in December

+1 on Geo's answer

Would add Control Arm Bushings.....and every other bushing you can get to lol. But seriously, if you're going to split it up and do some of it later(what I did also); I recommend doing the sway/stabilizer bar end links and bushings, coil springs (definitely w/new insulators top/bottom), and bump stops at same time as your shocks/struts. Those are the more suspension related items, they'll make the biggest "feel" difference

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Differential bracket bushings that come already pressed into a new bracket. Say buh bye to clunk when letting off gas on AWD/4WD from slow speeds.
its 2 brackets? left and right? is it worth saving the 100 and pressing them in myself or would i need a special tool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972