Does Denali with air ride drive similar to Escalade Sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This engine is not a 6.6 Dmax or a 6.7 Cummins. It was designed from the ground up to be a daily driver/light duty diesel. It has been in-service for at least 2+ years and I have not seen one report here or on Duramax forums of any instance of "Short tripping" DPF plugging or "Not driving it very much" emissions issues. Occasional bad from the factory parts causing problems ? Yes. But when working as designed I haven't heard a thing. It doesn't even have a "Keep driving" or DPF approaching full warning light, which all larger engines do....
If we were talking the big aforementioned engines, then yes I would agree on running them hard and working them. But, they put out a lot more soot and need to hustle to stay well. This engine is not in that category. Mine sometimes goes less than 10 miles a week and has for the last 3 months... Zero issues. But, 3-4 times a year it goes on 3k trips and really shines. If you take it on occasional 20-30 mile trips or pull something on any kind of basis, unless there is some faulty equipment, I gather say you would have no issues....
I think you are mostly right...except I have read some instances of people getting a check engine light when the DPF regen didn't complete successfully after 3 tries (from short tripping). But, my big fear was the days here in MN in January where I drive it work work (10 min max), turn it off, and it cold soaks at -15F for 10 hours, then I walk out at 5:30PM, when the temp has fallen to -22F, and I try to start...I think in this environment, the glow plugs will kick on, I would get the "pelase wait message" for about 30-45 seconds, then it would start...my next question was, what next...Drive 10 min home and turn it off...it cold soaks in my garage at +20F, and next day I do it again. How long does that work well? Maybe its fine, but I didn't want to risk it. 1000% agree its a great powertrain, and I seriously considered it...but I did talk to a very trusted mechanic (at a GM dealership) about my usage, and he came to same conclusion I did..

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 classic with the 6.6. I ordered a Denali with the 3.0. What most forget is GM's diesels are designed based off current and past Isuzu engineers side by side with GM's. Isuzu has been building diesels for years. My 6.6 has over 300k on it, tows most of the time. Other than routine maintenance, 1 glow plug the engine has been rock solid, which is why I went with the 3.0 over the 6.2 gasser. Neighbor has a 2020 Sierra with a 3.0 in it approaching 25k, mainly drives it to work, the grocery store and back. So far no issues and his runs are all short.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 classic with the 6.6. I ordered a Denali with the 3.0. What most forget is GM's diesels are designed based off current and past Isuzu engineers side by side with GM's. Isuzu has been building diesels for years. My 6.6 has over 300k on it, tows most of the time. Other than routine maintenance, 1 glow plug the engine has been rock solid, which is why I went with the 3.0 over the 6.2 gasser. Neighbor has a 2020 Sierra with a 3.0 in it approaching 25k, mainly drives it to work, the grocery store and back. So far no issues and his runs are all short.
Short and cold was my worry…not just short. And by cold, I mean Minnesota, high temp over a 2 week period of -10F cold. Frozen DEF, etc…

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short and cold was my worry…not just short. And by cold, I mean Minnesota, high temp over a 2 week period of -10F cold. Frozen DEF, etc…
I would not worry too much about frozen DEF, it will freeze when your in the teens. The DEF tanks have heaters in them so it will thaw quickly. If freezing DEf is an issue I would think there would be hundreds of towed diesels every morning when it gets cold. My 6.6 doesn't have DPF, or DEF. My BIL drives a 6.6 to work and back everyday, 7 miles round trip, and he lives in Fairbanks. In the 4 years he has had it, no DEF issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans