DOD Delete Theory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you do this.. I think it will a 100% work. the dod lifter when locked is nothing more than a longer heavier lifter. if the cam profile results in slightly less lift or duration, the factory tune must be tuned with this in mind. so adding a cam, even a stock non dod should technically be tuned for it.

I'm sure if you measure push rod length you'll know ****** if what they did was just smaller base circle. if you had the engine on a stand and a degree wheel, it would be super interesting to measure the actual lift and duration of a dod cam on the dod cyl and non dod cyl at the valve with the stock setup

be warned there's a ton of different and bad info on measuring push rod length. it's a ugly rabbit hole on YouTube. especially for non adjustable ls stuff. I dislike the center the rocker tip on the valve way and think rocker angle at 50% valve lift is better, gives less sweep area and let the tip fall where it may on the valve. but my logic is left over from the sbc era of adjustable rockers and odd ball angle heads from back then.

BTR had the best deals on random length push rods last time I built anything.

I legitimately hope it works out.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do offer a kit to do it, most DOD delete kits don't include a cam, just the option to add the cam you want; most kits also specify to verify the pushrod length needed after the heads are back on and order the appropriate lenth, don't just assume the stock pushrods will be right. People skip that step but many complain later about noisy lifters as a result.

There is no money to be made with this idea that is not already being made, just an opportunity to save some money and work for those whose cam is not damaged and are not looking for an improvement in performance.

If it works that is, the parts came today so I will see if I have time this weekend to get the heads off and eyes on the cam; if it looks good I will calculate the pushrod length and get them ordered next week.

Show me these kits then? ALL AFM delete kits include a cam or tell you you need one. ALL cam kits say to measure for pushrod length to ensure the valvetrain geometry is correct and center the rocker on the valve.

The lobe shape on the camshaft is different for the AFM cylinders. Make sure you check the compression once you get it back together. The ex-AFM cylinders will probably be 15-25 PSI lower.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do any of our GMT800s have DoD???

They do not. They don’t have VVT either. AFM first came out in the S/T trucks in 2004 if I remember correctly with the 5.3L, then came out in the full-size 5.3L in 2007, and was then added to the 6.2L SUVs in 2010. Now everything has it including Corvettes and Camaros. In 19/21 some of them got changed to DFM and all cylinders can be disabled individually.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so...I was just wondering why this was posted in this Forum if it does't have anything to do with our trucks...I've noticed several threads with questions about either newer GM trucks or different vehicles all together and just wondered what I was missing...

thanks 91RS

Bill

Last edited:

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I am excited for the outcome on this. I'm with you - I don't see why it wouldn't work. Lots of folks seem concerned about the ticking lifter having caused damage to the cam, but I doubt that would be the case. Lots of hydraulic lifters out there with ticks that are not wiping their cams, even flat tappet stuff.

Can't wait to see what you find. Good luck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if you measure push rod length you'll know ****** if what they did was just smaller base circle. if you had the engine on a stand and a degree wheel, it would be super interesting to measure the actual lift and duration of a dod cam on the dod cyl and non dod cyl at the valve with the stock setup

Or have someone put a stock AFM cam on a Cam Doctor.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show me these kits then? ALL AFM delete kits include a cam or tell you you need one. ALL cam kits say to measure for pushrod length to ensure the valvetrain geometry is correct and center the rocker on the valve.

The lobe shape on the camshaft is different for the AFM cylinders. Make sure you check the compression once you get it back together. The ex-AFM cylinders will probably be 15-25 PSI lower.

I'm still not understanding how the dod lifter adds 15-25 psi if cranking compression.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or have someone put a stock AFM cam on a Cam Doctor.

the cam itself having a bit less profile at the lobe doesn't really matter, it's more about if somehow the dod lifter is adding back that lift and or duration at the valve when a standard lifter wouldn't.

only thing I can think of is if the roller tip is larger diameter, it could effect it. I've not had both in my hands, since mine are still in my truck and hopefully stay that way lol. and can't tell by any pics I've looked up.

but being as my hybrid cam is a completely different grind than anything else. there's no non dod cam off the shelf to drop in as a delete kit. I have to hope this works out haha. cause it's definitely something I would be trying. that or replacing them with a oem afm set, new vlom and turning it all back on for another 100k. kinda my 2 options.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still not understanding how the dod lifter adds 15-25 psi if cranking compression.
'cause it's smaller by enough compared to the bigger / normal lifter,
to meaningfully inhale less air before the compression stroke than the normal lifter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019