DIY rim swappers: what’s your preferred floor jack, other tools?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a floor jack, torque wrench and any other necessary items to swap my rims back and forth from my summer set to off-road set/ winter set and curious what you all use. This won’t be to mount new tires on the rims but to swap complete sets on and off. TIA!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an aluminum 3 ton harbor freight floor jack, along with their jack stands. Actually have their high torque airgun too. Not bad stuff for a DIY'er. Do you have an air compressor?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all floor jacks are created equal. When looking at floor jacks, look at the maximum lift height (and to a much lesser extent for your truck, the collapsed height off the floor). These trucks, particularly if you lift them, you often need a jack with a maximum lift height over 20 inches.

Regarding torque wrenches, I purchased a Craftsman 'click-style' torque wrench a half century ago, and it still works great.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
I swap shoes on my Rubicon summer/winter, the best tool is the stock jack. Lift one, swap it, move to next.

About torque wrench, try to get one that has 140ft-lbs in the middle of its range. Any top brands are good.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For wheel nuts my favourite torque wrench is the Snap-on ATECH3FR300B. One of the most expensive hand tools in my roll cab. But once you’ve used it you’ll understand why.