Dissable TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine says "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" on the display after every start. I just clear that from the steering wheel and go on with life. No lamps on the cluster.

Maybe this is because I have had no sensors for a long time and it has driven many miles without the module getting any signals. It might assume the sensors are working, but is confused as to why no signals coming in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here, of course, we follow the United States requirements, much of which can be found here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/fmvss/TPMS-2005-FMVSS-No138.pdf (discussion starts on the 9th page of the PDF).

There are several ways -- direct or indirect -- for manufacturers to implement the system, with conditional warnings (one tire 25% down in pressure from the vehicle's tire pressure placard, etc.).

I have no idea if the European requirements are the same, or if your vehicle falls under those regulations.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, of course, we follow the United States requirements, much of which can be found here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/fmvss/TPMS-2005-FMVSS-No138.pdf (discussion starts on the 9th page of the PDF).

There are several ways -- direct or indirect -- for manufacturers to implement the system, with conditional warnings (one tire 25% down in pressure from the vehicle's tire pressure placard, etc.).

I have no idea if the European requirements are the same, or if your vehicle falls under those regulations.
Thank you very much for this information. At this time European Cars did not need to have tire pressure system I think the EU made that requirement 2014...

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idea was wrong. I drove away from home and linked my reader and try to delete the error messages from the TPMS. But when I delete them, they are instantly back.

So I had the whole journey the yellow lamp.
When I bought the car, it has this wheels installed and there was always the message "Check tire pressure", but never the yellow light.

Strange...

I will buy some sensors and installed them....

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who indicated if you get a cluster from an earlier year/or one that doesn't have the TPMS enabled, these messages go away. I have not tested this out, but offer it in case anyone else wants to. I DESPISE the nanny system myself, and think it is a total waste of time. If my tires are low and I do nothing about them, the damn messaging system isn't going to change my mind. The whole system just becomes one more thing to break, and results in further annoyance to many drivers.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My TPMS works, I have winter tires which have working sensors, but in my summer wheels I guess there are no sensors, because I can't connect them to the car. Is there a chance to disable the TPMS witch i really don't need, because I'm old fashioned and check my car before I drive and I feel a flat tire.

But I want to switch of this annoying yellow tire warning in the instrument cluster and I don't want to click everytime I drive to remove the check tire pressure message

Anyone has an idea?.
"TPMS" ??

jrdadof5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bad sensor is in my winter tires so I only have to deal with it from December till end of March.

Reaction score
Don't know anything about GM, but when I bought a 2006 Toyota Tundra years ago, I didn't like the system. Went to the local dealer and got a wiring diagram of the dash cluster unit. Clipped the wires to the warning light, and removed the sensors. No more TPMS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33