Disconnecting 2021 OnStar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
First... I agree, the surveillance on us as a whole is out of control and only getting worse.

But, to think that OnStar is the only thing in this vehicle that is collecting you data... well the idea is just silly. Remove the OnStar unit, you still have the cell service (my understanding these are two separate pieces). So you have removed a piece. Ok what about the cell phone in your pocket? Everyone gets all weird about Google and Amazon iOT devices "listening"... but sit there for hours hanging out on social media, playing dumb games... all of which are harvesting your life, let alone have BETTER capabilities of capturing data and listening to you, than a stationary device in your home/truck.

I live in this world... and work for a company that thrives on the idea of big data (which is pretty much any tech company out there). I know the data being collected on us, and I think it is absurd, but it is the life we signed up for as boiling frogs. Do we think we are going to stop it now? We should've all felt this way in the last century.

But on the flip side, I also agree, do what you can to minimize your footprint, but also be aware of reality... It's like sex and babies, you don't want to have babies, don't have sex. It's really your only full proof option. If you don't want surveillance done on you... get off the internet completely. It's really your only option.

For starters, maybe not be part of a truck forum that is collecting data on you too. Onstar is the least of your concerns.

Just trying to bring some reality to this whole discussion.
You have a choice whether to take your phone everywhere you go. Although I’m sure a lot of people never exercise it. You can turn off location services.

You don’t HAVE to supply accurate personal identifiers to social media. My name’s not what what you read here. (And yes, I know about browser fingerprints but that’s getting quite technical for a general conversation)

GM doesn’t give us any choice.

I don’t buy the premise that just because the water is hot, we’re all done. People should speak up, and vote with their dollars.

Also, from a technical perspective, Onstar is a service, and it runs the telemetry and ALL it’s data across the cellular modem and the AT&T network. (I use “service” in the computer software context, not the context of a service to the consumer.) So kill the cellular modem and Onstar has no comms.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 becomes more dear by the day. What are these cell phones you speak of? But yes I do email online banking etc. so it makes little difference if in addition they can trace the route I take to town.

Edward Snowden was naive to think he could make a difference.

Last edited:

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke down once in the mountains of WV. Hit the OnStar and got "No Service in Your Area". Canceled it when I got home. BTW - absolutely true = I don't/never have owned a cell phone! Now I wonder if my Smart TV is watching ME ??? LOL

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO POLITICS OF ANY KIND or this thread will be locked.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broke down once in the mountains of WV. Hit the OnStar and got "No Service in Your Area". Canceled it when I got home. BTW - absolutely true = I don't/never have owned a cell phone! Now I wonder if my Smart TV is watching ME ??? LOL
unless all you have is ota then yes it is

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my new rig down the road and said, "Hey Siri, play Steve Winwood", my wife shouts at me, "you have that thing on?", "they are listening to everything we say!", I said, "so why don't we give them something to remember?", she says, "I am serious!", I said, "so am I."

Best idea I had in maybe a year... :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was driving my new rig down the road and said, "Hey Siri, play Steve Winwood", my wife shouts at me, "you have that thing on?", "they are listening to everything we say!", I said, "so why don't we give them something to remember?", she says, "I am serious!", I said, "so am I."

Best idea I had in maybe a year... :)
ya, I'm well aware of all the "modeling" that goes around in this household, between apple, google, amazon, facebook, roku, verizon, xfinity, tivo and whatever other apps are installed on my phone and the wifes and the kids ipads. they have all my bases covered lol. I can practically shout out and have it delivered while I am still sitting on the couch

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, I'm well aware of all the "modeling" that goes around in this household, between apple, google, amazon, facebook, roku, verizon, xfinity, tivo and whatever other apps are installed on my phone and the wifes and the kids ipads. they have all my bases covered lol. I can practically shout out and have it delivered while I am still sitting on the couch
My litmus test when it comes to AI is how well they do on what I want to watch next on TV. As long as they are recommending the Kardashian's I know the world is safe from AI... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp