Disable DOD at a shop cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shipyard

Reaction score
I’ve called a couple shops that use HPtuners to just change the DOD setting to keep it from V4 on a 2016 suburban. One was 350 and the other was 400. Is this really the going rate?

I’m thinking 250-300 would be be better for the probably half hour job. Isn’t it just about 100 in credits?

I know it could be cheaper but I’m not willing to mail off my suburbans computer.
Anyone know a good shop in VA that can go in there and change settings? I’m using M5 lately because the Range has been killing my battery. Thanks ,

John

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can purchase a generic tuner of sorts...
I run a Diablo in tune 3, specifically for the DOD setting.

That said, the system can still fail with it disabled I do believe.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Diablo intune 3 originally to raise idle and turn off AFM at about 10k miles. I then decided to do a Lew tune. Truck runs soo much better. I now have 36k miles and it runs great. I think the key to not have lifter problems is to keep oil clean. So short intervals. I do 3-5k changes. There are little oil ports in the lifters that can become clogged when the oil is not changed frequently. This doesn’t mean it can happen but I think it greatly reduces the chances along with disabling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, oil coking is theain issues. Extended intervals are not ideal.for these.

I change at 5k max, last 4 vehicles all.have well into the 150k range without issues.

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind about the shorter interval instead of waiting on the 10%-5% on the system. I think my last change and the one I’m gonna do this week are closer to about 7000 miles .

the DOD switching to V4 is mostly just annoying to me as you can hear/feel it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve called a couple shops that use HPtuners to just change the DOD setting to keep it from V4 on a 2016 suburban. One was 350 and the other was 400. Is this really the going rate?

I’m thinking 250-300 would be be better for the probably half hour job. Isn’t it just about 100 in credits?

I know it could be cheaper but I’m not willing to mail off my suburbans computer.
Anyone know a good shop in VA that can go in there and change settings? I’m using M5 lately because the Range has been killing my battery. Thanks ,

John

AFM is very reliable in the LT engines, I wouldn't bother unless you were wanting the engine tuned for maximum efficiency.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for Diablo Intune with a lew tune. For right around the same price the shop is charging you. You can get a nice tune for your truck. It’s not much but it makes the truck a little more fun to drive

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will say this, i first leaned towards a tune for all out power ( power to weight = efficient)

but after a couple tweaks, here is where i have settled

87 octane tune
DOD disabled
tps increase 15%
up shift pressure 15%

juts did a 130 mile trip, mileage is on par or slightly better than stock ( typical trip is loaded, with 6 people... over night luggage and 3 sets of softball gear for the daughters)( sits level when loaded)

this has totally corrected what i disliked about the GM shift schedule, and the tps setting increase pedal throw to give it a slightly better feel when driving, no more feeling like it need to mash it to down shift.
i was very hesitant in the use of a pedal fooler device, but it does make the vehicle drive a lot smoother

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
So the Lew tune works like this basically? I buy the Diablo tune device and interface with the vehicle computer myself, for like $400 for the device.

And then have Lew tune review some downloaded files and he sends me back something custom with additional cost?

Is there some simple settings to improve performance and disable DOD myself without dealing with a laptop and files? I asked the shop about changing some performance settings but they haven’t got back with me. I’m bet they’re gonna want another couple hundred or so...

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the intune has generic tunes already loaded, within that menu you can select an option to modify...this is where you can select, trans up shift rpm, up shift psi, dod, throttle input %, enrichment of fueling...ect.

i wasnt wanting all out power, just a few tweaks for better drivability. in the past i have had very good results using superchips, but like that diablo offer more end user options to modify, along with the ability to have a custom tune performed.

now, LEW doenst do anything other than adjustments to the preselected octane tunes already present (MEANING, no e85, no power adder tunes, ect.), but he does make the needed adjustments that you vehicle has for its primary drive area and your style.

to be clear, he probably does start fresh with the tune, but based on data logs...starting info is very easy to achieve, dont think he is just tweaking throttle sensitivity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645