Differential Oil Change 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent writeup. It might be posted above or somewhere regarding G80 and clutches. I think there are two mechanisms involved in "locking" the G80. First the fly weight comes out and "locks" the path to the clutches - then the clutches pass the torque. Assuming this is correct - should some sort of modifier be used in the gear oil?

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this write up. it was a great reminder on how to complete this job. Although I've done this job two other times on my 2002 Tahoe, it was great to review the procedures before I changed my fluid today for most likely the last time. I've owned this great vehicle for 20 years and nearly 300,000 mile. It probably will out live me. What more can you ask from a vehicle.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread re-emerged none too soon! My diff was dripping a little. It was probably dripping for a long time before, but getting worse. I collected just over 2 quarts I believe, but it takes 2.4 quarts so I was getting low.

I used the Royal Purple, and the Felpro gasket.

If your driveway is sloped, you will be unable to measure the level of the fluid, but I figured that as long as I add the 2.4 quarts I should be fine.