Diagnosing erratic/high oil pressure...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it only operate along with AFM or does it work on it's own? I had AFM tuned out a couple years ago so while all the components are still there, they aren't activating.
I don't know how it works specifically but it is designed to help maintain a specification of oil pressure independent of the AFM system but if it is malfunctioning it could be restricting oil or allowing too much oil to pass and depending on where in the oil pressure system this valve is could cause the gauge to show a non-normal number.

I understand the one in the oil pan is a second oil pressure relief valve and the first one is built into the oil pump, things to keep in mind.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the tech and writer again today, in person, to get a complete rundown of exactly what they did so I have it documented. They were unable to verify the gauge reading while driving the vehicle because they couldn't get a tee on without removing the intake. They were able to verify pressure fluctuation while parked though. Also, on the drive home the gauge started out pegged at 80 for the first minute or so, then dropped back to 40 ish, then wavered in between for awhile, then shot back up to 80, then back down to 40, then to zero for a few seconds, then back up to 40. No strange noises from the motor - ran smooth and quiet the whole time. When I hit the brakes the pressure would go ballistic but it also did it a few times while driving on flat level road.

I think i'm going to get one of those oil-filter pressure gauge adapters and a long hose so I can get a mechanical gauge verification while driving. I really really hate to spend 2k on an oil pump replacement only to find out it was something really simple.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the tech and writer again today, in person, to get a complete rundown of exactly what they did so I have it documented. They were unable to verify the gauge reading while driving the vehicle because they couldn't get a tee on without removing the intake. They were able to verify pressure fluctuation while parked though. Also, on the drive home the gauge started out pegged at 80 for the first minute or so, then dropped back to 40 ish, then wavered in between for awhile, then shot back up to 80, then back down to 40, then to zero for a few seconds, then back up to 40. No strange noises from the motor - ran smooth and quiet the whole time. When I hit the brakes the pressure would go ballistic but it also did it a few times while driving on flat level road.

I think i'm going to get one of those oil-filter pressure gauge adapters and a long hose so I can get a mechanical gauge verification while driving. I really really hate to spend 2k on an oil pump replacement only to find out it was something really simple.
Good call. It could be as simple as a wiring harness or connector shorting out.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got a mechanical gauge on it, and the mystery only deepens.

Background info - The mechanical gauge setup I used uses a pass-through block that screws on in place of the oil filter, and has a port for a mechanical gauge fitting. So during testing, the oil filter was not installed.

Before the install, I went out to the driveway, started the truck, gave it a few seconds to get the oil flowing and warm up a bit, and the erratic behavior began almost immediately. Cluster gauge all over the place. Pulled the truck in the garage, shut it down. Installed gauge contraption and routed gauge up to the side of the truck so I could hold it with my left hand and steer with my right. Started truck, backed out of garage and through driveway, all readings normal (PSI 40ish on both gauges). Tried moving up and down the driveway a few times (this was more than enough to get it to act up before) and readings stayed right around 40 the whole time. Backed out of driveway and did a loop around the neighborhood, again, no weird behavior. Pressure lightly fluctuated between 35-50 psi, both gauges in lock-step. In all I drove around for about 15 minutes and never saw a single hint of erratic behavior, and both gauges agreed the whole time.

So the oil filter would then seem to be the culprit. I re-installed it and the erratic behavior did indeed return (going by only the cluster gauge of course). Open and shut case right? Except this is the second oil filter i've tried.

Since it's cheap, i'm heading out to Autozone to get a Mobil 1 or Bosch filter. I don't have a lot of confidence in anything at this point but another $15 is well worth the try.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck. Behavior continues, even with new oil filter. I have driven the same test loop now so many times that I have noticed a few things, which I confirmed on my last loop. The behavior is noticeably worse while going downhill or braking, and during left turns. I can peg the pressure gauge on command by executing a "spirited" left turn. Doesn't have to be at the limit of tire grip, just "swift" I would say. Same behavior does NOT occur on spirited right turns.

I'm going to put the mechanical gauge on one more time and try to figure out a way to route the gauge for safe driving.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally some progress. I put the test gauge setup on it again, and this time I routed the gauge up through the fenderwell (around the frame rail) and out under the back edge of the hood so i could see the gauge while driving. Then I went out for a nice long cruise until it got warmed up and the cluster gauge started going all nutzy. The mechanical gauge read 35-50psi the entire time. The cluster gauge was pegged at 80 quite a few times yet the mechanical gauge stayed steady.

I think i'm going to see if I can find another mechanic who can verify these findings before I consider the truck safe to drive though. Then the next question is now what? Try another pressure sensor?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally some progress. I put the test gauge setup on it again, and this time I routed the gauge up through the fenderwell (around the frame rail) and out under the back edge of the hood so i could see the gauge while driving. Then I went out for a nice long cruise until it got warmed up and the cluster gauge started going all nutzy. The mechanical gauge read 35-50psi the entire time. The cluster gauge was pegged at 80 quite a few times yet the mechanical gauge stayed steady.

I think i'm going to see if I can find another mechanic who can verify these findings before I consider the truck safe to drive though. Then the next question is now what? Try another pressure sensor?
I would contact Eric at Pine Hollow auto Diagonstic, He is at State College, about a 3 hour drive from you. An ocillscope will reveal the problem source.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a third (second professional) opinion yesterday and it matches mine. A professional was able to get his mechanical gauge on the truck and verified my results. Oil pressure is rock solid, so there's no REAL problem here. It's only the gauge. Next i'm going to try another sender, but it's probably going to be a few days before I have time.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a third (second professional) opinion yesterday and it matches mine. A professional was able to get his mechanical gauge on the truck and verified my results. Oil pressure is rock solid, so there's no REAL problem here. It's only the gauge. Next i'm going to try another sender, but it's probably going to be a few days before I have time.
Nice job on the sleuthing. I would also trace the wiring for the sensor carefully and look for chafed wires. The centripetal force of the turns is likely either moving exposed wires together, or messing with the ground point for the sensor or the indicator circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne