Diablo worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Quigley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking just to do a diablo just with getting rid of the AFM , and trans firmness up one. Anyone experience any issues. I blew the spyder gears in my previous sierra I dont know if the Edge programmer caused it. I’m skeptical on doing one.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I’m looking just to do a diablo just with getting rid of the AFM , and trans firmness up one. Anyone experience any issues. I blew the spyder gears in my previous sierra I dont know if the Edge programmer caused it. I’m skeptical on doing one.

I have a custom tune on my 08 Surburban from Lew at Diablew tune.

The canned tunes are OK and you can turn off AFM and firm up the shifts and what not but for the little extra money I think it's worth getting it custom tuned.

Lew does it like BB... you log and send him the file and he tweaks the tune and sends it back and you log again and repeat.

I am pleased with the results. The custom transmission tune makes a nice difference all by itself.

Last edited:

Jibee

Reaction score
I have no experience with Diablo but I do highly recommend go with a custom tune. While the canned tunes will make a noticeable difference, a custom tune can totally transform your driving experience and in some cases for not much more cash.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Diablo i3 on my mostly stock '08 Denali and am pleased with the results. Great bang for the buck. Mine is non-AFM so I didn't have to worry about that. I'm sure the canned tunes aren't making much more peak power over stock, but it certainly improved the driveability and responsiveness, and made the shifting on the transmission better (more noticeable on the 6-speeds).

I know lots of people swear by BlackBear, and I'm sure they offer a great product, but for me personally the price, and flexibility of the Diablo checked all the boxes. I like the freedom of being able to roll back to stock in 5 mins, or change things myself, or throw the 87 tune in if I'm going on a long trip and want to run cheap fuel, etc. Then you still have the option for a custom tune via Diablew which I'll probably do down the road.

If you have any GM buddies, you can also tune their vehicles with the Diablo for just the cost of an additional vehicle license (currently $99).

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you have any GM buddies, you can also tune their vehicles with the Diablo for just the cost of an additional vehicle license (currently $99).

I have the I2... it's good to know they have came down in price... when I bought my extra license it was $150 I believe.

Also, if I am not mistaken, you can tune something other than GM with the same tuner, you just need to purchase the appropriate license for said vehicle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the Diablo i3 on my mostly stock '08 Denali and am pleased with the results. Great bang for the buck. Mine is non-AFM so I didn't have to worry about that. I'm sure the canned tunes aren't making much more peak power over stock, but it certainly improved the driveability and responsiveness, and made the shifting on the transmission better (more noticeable on the 6-speeds).

I know lots of people swear by BlackBear, and I'm sure they offer a great product, but for me personally the price, and flexibility of the Diablo checked all the boxes. I like the freedom of being able to roll back to stock in 5 mins, or change things myself, or throw the 87 tune in if I'm going on a long trip and want to run cheap fuel, etc. Then you still have the option for a custom tune via Diablew which I'll probably do down the road.

All the above can be said for a Blackbear tune done with an Autocal. They are more expensive than the Diablew but IMO worth it. They've re-tuned my 02 quite a few times for no additional charge after every power upgrade/ tire size change. Plus I added a license for my 08 CC. There was a time I could roll back to stock in 5 minutes but once I installed a blower, cam, headers, etc that wasn't possible any more. Also Justin @ BB has helped me troubleshoot a couple problems via datalogging and having him take a look.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also second BB. Justin held my hand ( figuratively ) and helped me track a vacuum leak looking at pics i sent him with scans all in real time

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the above can be said for a Blackbear tune done with an Autocal. They are more expensive than the Diablew but IMO worth it. They've re-tuned my 02 quite a few times for no additional charge after every power upgrade/ tire size change. Plus I added a license for my 08 CC. There was a time I could roll back to stock in 5 minutes but once I installed a blower, cam, headers, etc that wasn't possible any more. Also Justin @ BB has helped me troubleshoot a couple problems via datalogging and having him take a look.

Each individual just has to decide what is important to them. If I want to play with any of the settings in my tune, takes 5 mins. If I don't like it, takes 5 mins to change back. As I understand with Blackbear, you'd have to contact them, ask for the changes/updates, they'd email a file, you'd load the tune. I'm sure they have quick turn around, but with the Diablo I have the freedom of doing it in the middle of the night, on a Sunday, etc, because it's all self contained.

For mild to heavily modified vehicles, absolutely, hands down a custom tune (from whomever) is the way to go. For a stock to mild vehicle, for me, the Diablo is the best bang for the buck.

Not to mention that if you ever sell the vehicle, all you do is roll it back to stock, and then you can sell the unmarried Diablo for probabaly 75-90% of your original cost.

Unless I misunderstand, with the Autocal, you can sell the device itself, but then the purchaser has to still buy a tune to use it. There's no way to "transfer" the tune with the Autocal even if the original vehicle has been restored to stock.

Again, not arguing that one is better than the other....just simply different. I bought my i3 as a fully warrantied factory refurbished unit, and used a 20% off eBay coupon, so it was DRASTICALLY cheaper than any other tuning option, be it HP Tuners, BlackBear, local custom shop/tuner, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505