Diablo worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with what you are saying. But just so its out there, the tunes blackbear sends you with each tweak are stored on your laptop. Yes you do need to load it onto the autocal and load in. But if you have changes you want or like , once you have those you can change it up in the middle of the night to your hearts content.
As for the resale, seems you are spot on. Unit stays with the truck forever. If i do sell this truck, it will be with the autocal and ill order a new one as the first thing i do.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also an important note is the fact that most of us have no idea how to tune and as for myself, I don't want to spend the time to learn how to do it. It's not like I need to constantly change things like Street Outlaws. Change cams, get it retuned. Add a blower, same thing. But those are major changes to my truck and I can wait a minute for Justin to tune it. I'd probably be one of those guys who blows the trans up (and mine is a Performabuilt Level 3 which is expensive) or runs it too lean at WOT with my boost level and burn a piston. I don't want to take a chance. There's plenty of stories of guys who make a small mistake with their own tune and it ends up costing them. If I was hitting the track all the time, I'd take the time to learn how to tune but I just want it to go fast without me messing around with it and breaking things. I am perfectly capable of breaking it without my own tune doing it lol.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atomic will hold your hand through the entire process, literally. He sends you a tune, you fish it with hpt, log, and send it back. That simple. In Chevy land, most shops are using hpt, as EFI live( which is what Blackbeard uses) had kinda abandoned the support for the gas engine side and are heavily focused on the diesel side.

In all honesty, I guess it depends on how deep he wants to dive into tuning and what functionality he wants, but everything can be done in HPtuners and their support actually helps along with the forums. You can even visit the tune repository and find a vehicle with similar mods as yours, dl it's tune and flash it to your own vehicle after you license it of course lol. But being able to change whatever I want and when I want at anytime is completely valuable. If I dont like the tune, I can change it back to stock.

Say I change tires or gears and need to correct the speedo, I can do that. Say I dont trust my tuner did a great job, I can review everything he changed vs what was stock or what was supposed touched/not touched. With canned tunes, you have no way of truly knowing and trusting some guy on the web, from somewhere, to take care of you. Then when things break down the line, how do you know if it was the tune or not?

To the OP, and everyone, I apologize ahead of time if it seems like I hijacked your thread, I just wanted to point out, you dont buy tools NOT to work on something, so why gamble with your high investment. We all love the hobby, Why take the chance?

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the same vehicle, but some similarities. I has a Diablo tuner with the canned tune on my 04 GTO LS1 6 Speed. There was some gains, but nothing major. Although for the cost and simplicity it was fine, I wouldn't not do it again. Although from what I understand (at least on the GTO), the bigger gains were for the people with automatic transmissions with improved shift points and firmness.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have details on the 20% off..? (I'm not finding it)

It was a month or two ago when eBay ran a promo for 20% off everything site wide. Paired that with the refurb unit from Diablo's eBay store and picked it up SUPER cheap.

Just keep an eye out on the SlickDeals website for when there's another eBay coupon. Sometimes it's only 10% or 15%, and sometimes limited to only certain categories. I just happened to catch a 20% with no category limits.

Make sure to check around the 16th of this month. Supposedly that's when Amazon is doing their annual "Prime Day", so maybe eBay will do some type of competing promo.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you adjust throttle sensitivity with the i3? I have a 13 suburban with a limp throttle that sucks.
With the 'canned" tunes in the diablo you Cannot adjust throttle sensitivity or trans shift points
on your 6L80E. It's just a performance tune for premium fuel or economy tune for 87 octane.
You can do fan off/on and max rpms for each gear , but no part throttle shift adjustment

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
With the 'canned" tunes in the diablo you Cannot adjust throttle sensitivity or trans shift points
on your 6L80E. It's just a performance tune for premium fuel or economy tune for 87 octane.
You can do fan off/on and max rpms for each gear , but no part throttle shift adjustment
Thanks. At this point I am saving for a Black Bear tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros