Derale 8000 series Trans Cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbrockman6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Derale’s transmission coolers?

I just installed an 8000 series plate/fin cooler this morning to help with the temps while towing my travel trailer. I’m not sure if it just takes a while before I start seeing a difference or what, but just driving down the road (not towing) I’m still seeing trans temps in the 190’s.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I just installed an 8000 series plate/fin cooler this morning to help with the temps while towing my travel trailer. I’m not sure if it just takes a while before I start seeing a difference or what, but just driving down the road (not towing) I’m still seeing trans temps in the 190’s.

@Geotrash did, IIRC.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They make an excellent product! Now, how did you hook it up? I reckon that the lines are not routed right and if so, get them sorted out quick before they take out your transmission.

OP
OP
M

Mbrockman6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hooked it up to the top “passenger” side tranny line that goes into the upper connection of what I’m assuming is the radiator/factory trans cooler. (And of course, I didn’t take pictures before putting everything back together)

That’s the thing, though… I found 2 connectors/ports. One at the top passenger side and another at the bottom driver side. I cannot find anything anywhere online that shows which line goes to and from the tranny.

I couldn’t find a single install video or guide for my year or generation Yukon 5.3 (XL or otherwise). Even the install video from Derale (one trailer.com) is for a 2007.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked it up to the top “passenger” side tranny line that goes into the upper connection of what I’m assuming is the radiator/factory trans cooler. (And of course, I didn’t take pictures before putting everything back together)

That’s the thing, though… I found 2 connectors/ports. One at the top passenger side and another at the bottom driver side. I cannot find anything anywhere online that shows which line goes to and from the tranny.

I couldn’t find a single install video or guide for my year or generation Yukon 5.3 (XL or otherwise). Even the install video from Derale (one trailer.com) is for a 2007.

Does your radiator look like this? Photo taken from ACDelco's website of a 2017 Tahoe without Enhanced Cooling.

84186718_Primary.jpg

This photo from Rock Auto website shows Enhanced Cooling Radiator.

8013398__ra_p.jpg

The radiator above, the view is from the driver's seat looking forward. Those two lines/fittings on your left are for the engine oil cooler. The two lines/fittings on the right are for the transmission oil cooler. An external transmission cooler connects to the top right line and then goes back to the transmission.

Now having said that, on a K2, your generation truck, the factory external transmission cooler is built into the top of the AC Condenser. So make sure you don't have that already.

Oh, almost forgot, your K2s have a transmission thermostat to keep the temperature nearly the same as the engine coolant. This shortens the life of the transmissions and the remedy is to "flip the pill". Google it.

This is how Mishimoto plumbed theirs: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...14-silverado-sierra-1500-trans-cooler.104487/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mbrockman6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not sure which lines are which on your year truck but I’m sure you can Google it. Don’t assume anything. If you’re not sure, find out or you risk destroying your transmission like @swathdiver stated. And why aren’t you on Derale’s
website instead of a vendors? Derale has tons of install videos.

https://derale.com/product-footer/product-instructions-footer?download=85:13501&start=80

Because It’s honestly the closest thing I can find about installing a trans cooler on my 2015 Yukon xl (5.3). Everything else is just generic instructions.

OP
OP
M

Mbrockman6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully these pictures can give you an idea of how/where I installed it. I’m pointing to where it was routed to, and I highlighted to where I connected to.

CDC23014-A4AD-4434-9C78-26C2DE24C752.jpeg 1F69289B-2C5F-4488-8C93-698FB4A86774.jpeg B768D836-4447-4D0D-8FAA-2F5FF05111EE.jpeg 3E7BADC0-D0AB-4C6D-B0B8-B8F2AE760DEA.png

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully these pictures can give you an idea of how/where I installed it. I’m pointing to where it was routed to, and I highlighted to where I connected to.

View attachment 280530 View attachment 280531 View attachment 280532 View attachment 280534

Sorry Mike, I'm not able to follow it. The line coming from the transmission goes into the bottom fitting on the passenger side of the transmission. The fluid then comes out of the top fitting on the passenger side and either goes to a cooler or back to the transmission. In the second photo, I see the top line still connected and not sure what else. If you did anything on the driver's side, that's engine oil and if so, get your wallet out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont