Denali wont drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liftednali

Reaction score
Hey guys I own a 2000 Yukon Denali (OBS) 5.7 V8 154,***

The other day i was driving and i came upon a stop, as i took off from the stop there was aloud clunk sound and it felt like something dropped. My truck at that point drove but it was only rolling because as i touched the accelerator it was revving but not increasing speed. I stopped, and as i put it into park there was like a tension cracking noise. I shut the truck off and turned it back on and when i shifted into all the other gears it would not move at all. I had it towed back to my house thinking it was a transmission issue. I got under the truck and had my son turn it on and put it in drive to see if the drive shaft was spinning, I told him to hit the 2HI button and hold the brake while it was in drive, both front and rear drive-shafts were spinning but the vehicle did not go anywhere. Now I'm thinking it is something electrical/transfer case related. My buttons to switch between 2HI, Auto4, 4HI, and 4LO have acted up, the light that signifies which position its in would come on an off so thus that poor contact could engage and disengage it at the wrong times.

Any ideas on the issue before I take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when did they put a 4x4 transfer case in a Denali? Denali used a AWD transfer case.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when did they put a 4x4 transfer case in a Denali? Denali used a AWD transfer case.

In the OBS models They had the NP246 Autotrac model .

I think it is something in your rear axle .

If you are concerned about the front Drive shaft turning while in gear this is normal.

And if it was a Transfer case issue you wouldn't receive any power at all to neither front or rear axle . You say that in 2 wheel your rear did not move?

If so drop it in 4 hi and if the front axle drives than your rear end is busted . Most likely the G80 blew up . and caused bigger issues .

It probably wouldn't hurt to crack it open anyways

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
In the OBS models They had the NP246 Autotrac model .

I think it is something in your rear axle .

If you are concerned about the front Drive shaft turning while in gear this is normal.

And if it was a Transfer case issue you wouldn't receive any power at all to neither front or rear axle . You say that in 2 wheel your rear did not move?

If so drop it in 4 hi and if the front axle drives than your rear end is busted . Most likely the G80 blew up . and caused bigger issues .

It probably wouldn't hurt to crack it open anyways
So put it in 4HI today and the truck moves no problem, one of my rear axles snapped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boromircalantir