Denali vs. Ultimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewYukonFLA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interested in purchasing a new Yukon. I usually try to get the top trim level, but having a difficult time finding a Denali Ultimate. Seems like there are 10 Denali's for every Ultimate. Many standard Denali's have the "ultimate package" (I know its not a true Ultimate) but interested in hearing from folks that have either the standard Denali or the Ultimate to get your thoughts on why one over the other. Quick answer seems to be blacked out grill, massaging seats, unique interior. Of course I'm also tempted to wait to see what they reveal for the 2025 model, but delayed gratification has not been a strong suit of mine!

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
I have the Denali with the Reserve Package, which is basically a fully loaded Denali. I also have a 2024 Sierra HD Denali Ultimate. The interiors on all Denali Ultimates (Yukon, Sierra, Sierra HD) are basically the same: Alpine Umber interior with top grade leather, black "alcantara" headliner, massaging seats, genuine wood trim with laser etched Mt. Denali topograhy (also on the leather), etc. I didn't want the Ultimate on the Yukon because Alpine Umber is the only color offered, and I didn't want two identical interiors. I also don't care for the front headrest speakers that are only on the Yukon Denali Ultimate (not on the Sierra and Sierra HD). I also don't care for the wheels on the Yukon Denali Ultimate, but that's just personal preference. The massage seats in my Sierra HD are nice, but I hardly ever use them. I do love the interior, though. The leather is much higher quality than what's provided on the standard Denali. I believe the Denali Ultimate on the Yukon basically provides every option available, including everything that would be included on the Reserve Package on the standard Denali.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
I have the Denali with the Reserve Package, which is basically a fully loaded Denali. I also have a 2024 Sierra HD Denali Ultimate. The interiors on all Denali Ultimates (Yukon, Sierra, Sierra HD) are basically the same: Alpine Umber interior with top grade leather, black "alcantara" headliner, massaging seats, genuine wood trim with laser etched Mt. Denali topograhy (also on the leather), etc. I didn't want the Ultimate on the Yukon because Alpine Umber is the only color offered, and I didn't want two identical interiors. I also don't care for the front headrest speakers that are only on the Yukon Denali Ultimate (not on the Sierra and Sierra HD). I also don't care for the wheels on the Yukon Denali Ultimate, but that's just personal preference. The massage seats in my Sierra HD are nice, but I hardly ever use them. I do love the interior, though. The leather is much higher quality than what's provided on the standard Denali. I believe the Denali Ultimate on the Yukon basically provides every option available, including everything that would be included on the Reserve Package on the standard Denali.
How are those headrest speakers? They seem dangerous and dumb to me, but only other person I know who has them here said they haven't worked yet for them.

I have a standard denali, no packages but some stupid little add on. I got it despite the chrome grill because the interior dashboard is a huge step up from the non-denali trim. 85k was pushing it past where I wanted to go, and 100+k for the ultimate for a grill wasn't worth it for me. There are enough nice features in the regular denali, and I could swap the grill for 1200 down the line, but we have found it doesn't really bother us since we only really see the inside.

I did replace the red GMC badging and grill inserts with black, and de-badged the whole thing to clean up some of the chrome.

If I felt okay with the 100k price (my budget, not a judgement on costs) I MAY have went with it, but I would really have had to felt something spiritual from that sound system as that was the only big upgrade that caught my eye. Messaging seats I have never had the privilege of trying, so I can't miss what I don't know.

Good luck, either way, they are great rides and we have really enjoyed it.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Ultimate because of the added features and the color of the interior with the black exterior. It would be well worth your while if you want those added features, mine is an awesome vehice

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2021 used last August and it's the Premium package - there's Base, Premium, and Ultimate. The thing I would have liked out of the Ultimate is integrated brake controller, air-leveling, and fancy-slide-center-console. Don't care about rear entertainment.

Added a Curtis brake controller ($500) which works fine and we did a test tow at 107F ambient up a nearby mountain before purchase and comfortable that 6.2L doesn't need extra cooling for our situation. And the magnetic ride is fine.

So overall, no problem with the Premium package vs Ultimate for us. Here's the list of features I found for "Premium" ....
1706405595335.png
1706405792964.png
1706405820241.png

Last edited:

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might add - it cost significant $ to cover extras.
- Fobs - the car only came with 1 Fob.
- Curtis brake controller
- 10" Drop Hitch - because it's so high off the ground compared to our previous vehicle
- Chains
- Floor Matts (was missing a mat on the driver's side)
- Glove Box User Manual - had a torn up 2011 used one.
- Roof Rack cross members

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might add - it cost significant $ to cover extras.
- Fobs - the car only came with 1 Fob.
- Curtis brake controller
- 10" Drop Hitch - because it's so high off the ground compared to our previous vehicle
- Chains
- Floor Matts (was missing a mat on the driver's side)
- Glove Box User Manual - had a torn up 2011 used one.
- Roof Rack cross members
@tagexpcom You mentioned chains in your post. I believe I read in the owners manual that the vehicle could not be driven with chains. Is that GM covering their a$$es, and you can use chains, or did you do some other modification in order to do so? Also, chains on just the rear wheels or all four? Lastly, which chains did you purchase and what speed are you able to drive with the chains installed?

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tagexpcom You mentioned chains in your post. I believe I read in the owners manual that the vehicle could not be driven with chains. Is that GM covering their a$$es, and you can use chains, or did you do some other modification in order to do so? Also, chains on just the rear wheels or all four? Lastly, which chains did you purchase and what speed are you able to drive with the chains installed?
Interesting comment - here's what my 2021 GMC Yukon Denali user manual says....
1706478691039.png
I can understand the caution that 'no chains should hit or rub any part of the car' but there's common sense involved here and that's how I read the above.

In my area, sometimes chains are required in winter/snow on mountain roads when towing... so I carry them as we do a lot of winter camping and routinely driver over mountain passes during winter.

I bought these chains - - which are listed as fitting my rig and tires.
1706479453669.png
1706479231001.png

And they do fit nicely on my 22" 275/50 tires and I don't see a problem with clearance or risk of damaging the vehicle or breaks etc. Way easier than my old pair to install as well!

Last edited:

carterchapman

Reaction score
Interested in purchasing a new Yukon. I usually try to get the top trim level, but having a difficult time finding a Denali Ultimate. Seems like there are 10 Denali's for every Ultimate. Many standard Denali's have the "ultimate package" (I know its not a true Ultimate) but interested in hearing from folks that have either the standard Denali or the Ultimate to get your thoughts on why one over the other. Quick answer seems to be blacked out grill, massaging seats, unique interior. Of course I'm also tempted to wait to see what they reveal for the 2025 model, but delayed gratification has not been a strong suit of mine!
I've enjoyed a lot of Denali's over the years, but when I tried to get an Ultimate one a couple of years ago, all I got was "sorry, it's on allocation". So I broke down and bought an Escalade and am very happy with it.

carterchapman

Reaction score
Interesting comment - here's what my 2021 GMC Yukon Denali user manual says....
View attachment 420130
I can understand the caution that 'no chains should hit or rub any part of the car' but there's common sense involved here and that's how I read the above.

In my area, sometimes chains are required in winter/snow on mountain roads when towing... so I carry them as we do a lot of winter camping and routinely driver over mountain passes during winter.

I bought these chains - - which are listed as fitting my rig and tires.
View attachment 420134
View attachment 420133

And they do fit nicely on my 22" 275/50 tires and I don't see a problem with clearance or risk of damaging the vehicle or breaks etc. Way easier than my old pair to install as well!
I have used these before - they will not hit the wheel wells- which is why they don't recommend chains...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz