Denali brake upgrade options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on what to do for a brake upgrade on my truck and could use a little feedback.

I have a 2003 Denali and was running on 22s for a few years. I was ok with my brakes while using those wheels. I now switched to 26s this year and even though they don't weigh more then my 22s the rolling diameter increased so now it's pretty obvious that my brakes can't keep up.

I have 305s on both sets of wheels and I think I'm going to keep the 22s but put a set of 275 A/S or snow tires on those wheels or get a set of stock GM 22s for winter wheels.

I did a search and I think I have figured out what all the options are.

Brembo Big Brake kit
Wildwood Big Brake kit
Baer Big Brake kit
SSBC Big Brake kit
Z06 Calipers with Baer Rotors
Baer Rotor kit
2007+ OEM calipers with performance pads, rotors and S.S. lines

I use my truck as a D.D., to pull my enclosed car trailer and to get 4 people + gear up to the ski mountains. I dont want to get carried away. I already have a few highly modded cars so I am not really liking the idea of a $3-4k brake upgrade. I also drive my truck in the snow and salt and would hate to see corrosion on a nice Brembo kit. At the same time, if I'm going to spend money I want to make sure I'm happy with my choice.

Right now I am gravitating towards the 2007+ OEM option with Hawk pads, Raybestos Slotted Rotors, S.S. lines and Super Blue fluid.
I think my second choice would be the Z06 option if the 2007+ option tuns out to be to little of an upgrade by other members standards.
From what I read the SSBC brakes are not that great and I am not a big fan of the Baer/PBR calipers.

Any input, opinions, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

24ad58f9a303783a951bd43668f7900a.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bang for your buck - 2007+ OEM calipers with performance pads, rotors and S.S. lines

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the r1 rotors dd/sl rotors and hawk pads I got from a vendor here freedom motorsports. They do the job on my 08 Denali with 26". I had a guy make a right turn from the left lane yest at about 35 mph and threw my 5/1 wife on top the dashboard but no accident.

I know. She had just got in and hadn't put her seatbelt on yet.

OP
OP
R

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the r1 rotors dd/sl rotors and hawk pads I got from a vendor here freedom motorsports. They do the job on my 08 Denali with 26". I had a guy make a right turn from the left lane yest at about 35 mph and threw my 5/1 wife on top the dashboard but no accident.

I know. She had just got in and hadn't put her seatbelt on yet.

Wow, thankfully she didn't get hurt or hit the windshield the wrong way!

I'll look in to the R1 rotors.

OP
OP
R

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked at the R1 website since they where running a sale and I don't see rotors listed for our trucks or the 2007+
Maybe they pull them off the site when they are out of stock? I haven't contacted them yet but I will when I'm ready.
I'm also looking at the Raybestos Rotos with the wave slots in them. I would rather not have cross drilled since I don't see myself ever creating enough continues heat to need to expel gases that quick. Those drill holes get pretty rusty and start to look ugly after a few weeks of winter.

Right now there is no negative feedback on the 2007+ option so that's the way I'm leaning.
The Wilwoods are sweet and would look waaaayyy better behind my wheels for sure. I actually have (2) MR2 builds going right now using Wilwood kits and I've always been happy with there stuff.
The 2007+ option is nice because it leaves some money in my pocket and I won't have to keep my old stuff hanging around. If I had the Wilwoods I would want to swap back to stock brakes and wheels if I ever sold the truck. With the 2007+ there will be no need to keep my old calipers and I can still go back to stock wheels.

I still like the Z06 option since they will look great and cost less then Wilwood but haven't heard anything for/against it and so far everyone likes the 2007+ option.

Keep the feedback coming!

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a member here who just pulled off a set of willwoods and sway bars for a decent price. I couldn't afford them.

With r1 their website is not up to date. They have everything. Hit up cris freedom motorsports from here he can put together a quote for you.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's was a fair price for a used set. Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo