Denali 6.2 vs. Denali Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Reaction score
Drove the 90 miles to test drive the Yukon Hybrid. The drive was in north Arkansas across rolling hills on a two late 55 MPH road. We drove the 6.2 Denali and the DIC showed 19.6 MPG (not bad!!)

The hybrid is gorgeous, especially from 10' away. Onyx black with the factory 22's is sweet.

The vehicle was a "training" vehicle for GM. That's why it only has 2,200 miles. According to the dealer, it was driven to tech training sessions to educate on the hybrid systems.

Unfortunately, it appears the "service blankets" were never used to protect the front fenders while folks were leaning over looking at the engine. There were many very small scratches on the top surface of both fenders.... visible from about 3-5' away. I'm sure this is an easy fix for a good paint guy.

The interior was in good shape - a minor ink pen mark, some microscopic scratches on the center console fake wood, and a small stain on the headliner. All of which could be fixed with some time. The second row bench seemed to make the interior feel smaller compared to the quad buckets... but I could get used to it.

Driving: the hybrid drives totally different than the 6.2 Denali. I personally wouldn't say it is better or worse; just different. Steering is much different - heavier and possibly more precise. I'm guessing the power steering is electric vs. hydraulic and that's the reason for the difference.

Letting off the throttle reminds me of being in a lower gear on a standard transmission... the vehicle immediately decelerates. I'm guessing this is part of the battery charging.

The engine and tranny are indeed smoother in most respects compared to the 6.2. I did find 0-30 to be slightly clumsy when pushed hard - almost like it had to search a bit for the right gear. Definitely not an issue, just something to learn when driving the hybrid.

I would say the 6.2 seems more powerful and able to power through hills and rises a bit easier than the hybrid. But the hybrid was more than adequate.

I reset the DIC's average MPG before the test drive. I drove about 10 miles of mixed city and highway and also some empty parking lot work. Averaged 22.1 MPG.

Unfortunately, this vehicle suffered wind noise around the outside mirror. I think this is known issue on earlier model NNBS vehicles. In fact on a couple of crosswind gusts while driving about 55, the wind actually whistled.

At the end of the day, the small cosmetic paint issues, the wind noise, and the step down in model year (2012 to 2011) and the associated warranty decrease were all reasons to not make the change. Our 6.2 Denali is cosmetically "perfect." None of the compromises we would be inheriting with the hybrid.

If anyone is interested, it's a great vehicle and with a bit of work from a talented paint guy, it would be about perfect. I also think the wind noise is probably solvable with the right expertise. Here's the listing for those interested: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[GMC[YUKON[]][]]&listingId=329611640&Log=0

If I were buying new again and I could find a hybrid, I would be all over it.

Of course, I pulled the retrofitted projectors before heading to the dealer just in case, so now I get to pull the front end of our Denali and put those back in :)

GL

Last edited:

CYKBC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What extra cost are we talking about? People keep bringing it up but the Tahoe LTZ and Hybrid models are on par and I'd argue the Hybrid is the better value. How much more is the Hybrid Denali than the regular denali? escalade?

Like I've stated in my personal reviews, the Hybrid provides a better driving experience, looks (in the case of the Tahoe), and hey... markedly better mpgs.

Having owned both the 5.3, driven the 6.2 (albeit two years ago so not sure if anything's changed), I'd pick the Hybrid every time and advise people to make sure to check 'em all out before plunking down the cash or signing for the loan.

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Reaction score
For us, the wife wanted the Denali look and we saved to make the splurge. If I had the choice today between a new Denali Hybrid and a 6.2 Denali, I would be hard pressed to skip the hybrid.

I think the cost comparison is based on MSRP of like models. For example, a 2013 Denali starts at $55,360; a Denali hybrid starts at $60,635. (Not considering rebates, incentives, etc.)

GL

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, to compare the two trucks like for like you'd have to add the 22s to the Base Denali.

For the AWD version it's then only about a $1500 difference.

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Reaction score
Good point sir. GM makes apples to apples very hard to do!

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

BTW Serge, your new sig makes me do a double take. Our vehicles are identical (except _I_ have the retrofits and you don't. That just doesn't seem right!)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just mine up for sale, so your impeccable taste shall stand alone. :)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 2012 ... I needz bridge vehicle. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts